Car troubles (bought a new EEC; please help!)

jholbert

Feb 12, 2004
I've recently been having some trouble with my EEC. I finally received my FordChip (the previous one was damaged) and once again tried to install it and get it working. Unfortunately, every time that I would try to start the car with the chip inserted in the EEC the engine just wouldn't turn over. The theft light flashed really fast, the fan would come on, and the odometer displayed "-------------------".

I then decided to just take the chip out and hook everything back up and give it a rest. To my surprise, the car wouldn't start. It did the exact same thing it did with the chip in. The theft light flashed really fast, the fan would come on, and the odometer displayed "-------------------". From what I understood, this is a sign that the EEC is fried, so I ordered a new one with the exact same computer code (same year, same everything).

Today the EEC finally arrived via UPS Next Day Air. I installed the new EEC and everything appeared to be going as planned. The car no longer flashed the theft light, odometer didn't display "-----------------", or anything of the such. After hooking everything up and trying to crank the engine, for some reason the car "still" won't start. The odometer flashed one time very quickly after I stopped cranking, and the theft light began to flash very slowly (every five or six seconds. Now, take note that this would only happen after trying to crank the engine. Everything before that seemed to function just like it should. Any ideas on what the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)

do you have all of the wires hooked up from the EEC? I know there's one big harness that goes into the EEC that needs to be tightened back down by the bolt. Then there's 3-4 additional harnesses that need hooked up. When you say it's not turning over, do you mean it's not running, or the engine will literally not do anything? Does the starter activate? If that's the case, it's something further than the EEC. I'd definitely double check the connections. When I put in my chip, I left all of the connections loose and got the same thing. The theft light would flash and the car would turn over but not start. When I double checked all of the connections and tightened everything up, it was all okay.

98CobraClone said:
do you have all of the wires hooked up from the EEC? I know there's one big harness that goes into the EEC that needs to be tightened back down by the bolt. Then there's 3-4 additional harnesses that need hooked up. When you say it's not turning over, do you mean it's not running, or the engine will literally not do anything? Does the starter activate? If that's the case, it's something further than the EEC. I'd definitely double check the connections. When I put in my chip, I left all of the connections loose and got the same thing. The theft light would flash and the car would turn over but not start. When I double checked all of the connections and tightened everything up, it was all okay.

Yes, everything is connected tightly. The engine will turn over, but wont start. Everything else is working fine. It just wont run... :(

Maybe it has somehting to do with the PATS... :shrug:

ok, it was a joke, hah hah, newbie... you've only 3 post i bet there are plenty more useless comments thats have been posted... though many out there may not enjoy some of my useless comments, but nobody enjoys a sarcastic newbie, k?

Any way, sometimes the battery connections can get sketchy especially if you just recently pulled them off, try traking them back off and oiling, cleaning the contacts. That is if you've tripple checked all your connections. But thats what i would suggest a hard system restart.

97v6Silver said:
ok, it was a joke, hah hah, newbie... you've only 3 post i bet there are plenty more useless comments thats have been posted... though many out there may not enjoy some of my useless comments, but nobody enjoys a sarcastic newbie, k?

Any way, sometimes the battery connections can get sketchy especially if you just recently pulled them off, try traking them back off and oiling, cleaning the contacts. That is if you've tripple checked all your connections. But thats what i would suggest a hard system restart.

Sarcastic? I assure you there is no sarcasm in any of my posts. I was simply telling you how it is. This isn't a thread for joking; it's for getting "serious" help.

k?

The one thought that came to mind is that maybe the EEC is not programmed for the chip in your key. I would call your local ford service department and ask them if this is the case, and if you can program it yourself with 2 keys (i think one needs to already be programmed though) or if they can program it for you if you give them the EEC code? The other thing that came to mind is that maybe somehow you flipped the fuel shut off switch? Did you check to make sure that somehow that did not pop and your not getting any fuel to the engine? Ummmm what else can I think of...................not right now, but i'll be thinking about it, let me know how it goes.