Car won't start!!! Fuel Pump??

Strike One

Founding Member
Aug 22, 2000
San Francisco, CA
Here is the story:
I go to my car to start it and it started fine like usual, then instantly died within 3-4 seconds. The fuel pump primed fine cause if it didn't I probably would have noticed it. So after it died, I tried ot start it again but it won't turn over. I am getting spark fine but the fuel pump is not priming anymore when I turn the key. Does this mean my fuel pump is done for?

• Sponsors (?)

as i recall, there is a fusable link on the pump. something to check, as well as inertia switch. also fuel pump relay. also check for input from the puter to energize the relay.
you said that it would not crank, but you know you have spark. how do you know you have spark. or did you mean it turns over, but will not catch? just clarifying.
good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
as i recall, there is a fusable link on the pump. something to check, as well as inertia switch. also fuel pump relay. also check for input from the puter to energize the relay.
you said that it would not crank, but you know you have spark. how do you know you have spark. or did you mean it turns over, but will not catch? just clarifying.
good luck.

It cranks fine but will not catch...I tried buying a fuel pump relay but it doesn't fit either of the two relays under the Mass Air. I thought 92 and up have it there instead of under the seat??

Strike One said:
just pulled code 95 "fuel pump secondary cicuit fault"
does this mean my relay? can someone explain?

To help troubleshoot the 95 code , follow this link for a wiring diagram http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Using the diagram, check the red/black wire from the fuel pump relay: you should see 12 volts or so. If not, check the inertia switch: on a hatch it is on the drivers side by the taillight. Look for a black rubber plug that pops out: if you don't find it, then loosen up the plastic trim. Check for voltage on both sides of the switch. If there is voltage on both sides, then check the Pink/black wire on the fuel pump relay: it is the power feed to the fuel pump. Good voltage there, then the fuel pump is the likely culprit since it is getting power. No voltage there, check the Orange/lt blue wire, it is the power feed to the fuel pump relay & has a fuse link in it. Good voltage there & at the Pink/black wire, swap the relay.

jrichker said:
To help troubleshoot the 95 code , follow this link for a wiring diagram http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Using the diagram, check the red/black wire from the fuel pump relay: you should see 12 volts or so. If not, check the inertia switch: on a hatch it is on the drivers side by the taillight. Look for a black rubber plug that pops out: if you don't find it, then loosen up the plastic trim. Check for voltage on both sides of the switch. If there is voltage on both sides, then check the Pink/black wire on the fuel pump relay: it is the power feed to the fuel pump. Good voltage there, then the fuel pump is the likely culprit since it is getting power. No voltage there, check the Orange/lt blue wire, it is the power feed to the fuel pump relay & has a fuse link in it. Good voltage there & at the Pink/black wire, swap the relay.

thakns for the help! :nice: