Car wrecked!!! How much do I get if they total it and I buy it back?

NEEDA5.0

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2002
Well here I am, minding my own business, cruising with the top down, not a care in the world then BAM! This is a four lane road in town, there was a semi turning in the right of the two lanes heading west I was in the left lane. As I approached the intersection (no light) a car pulled out heading east from the side street the semi was turning on to. There was no way for him to see me on the other side of the semi but he wasn't at all cautious about pulling out either. Unfortunately not only could he not see me, I could not see him. Normally in this situation, had the semi not been there, I could have at least seen him starting to pull out but with the semi in the way I never saw him coming. It was like he was dropped in front of me. I was going about 45 and I figure he was going about 20 He hit me in the right front quarter panel/bumper.
The wheels all bent in, the hoods all cracked (which I didn't know was fiberglass). The passenger side door is bent from the quarter panel being pushed into it. The front bumper is trashed, the fog light is broken, both air bags blew. The place they took it to said the strut is bent. The car won't start even though the engine looks ok and there was no fluid leakage. I'm not sure if the fuel cutoff switch was activated, haven't checked. This sucks! The body shop was telling me that the airbags alone could come to almost $3000 ($800 per bag + sensors + fizing the dash + etc) Then they have to replace the seat belt retractors, then we can talk about the body... Yikes. He got it to the shop late today and will prepare an estimate tomorrow. I know its gonna be totaled. I'm definetly buying it back though. I'm so pissed! I know I'm gonna lose in this deal. I don't know what insurance this guy has yet, he was taken via ambulance to the hospital. I don't think he was wearing his seatbelt, his face was all bloody and he was complaining of chest pains. He was driving a 94 Toyota Corolla. His car was all smashed up.
Should I get a lawyer? My hand is kinda numb and tingling. I went to see my doctor right afterwards and they gave me vicodin and flexerall and ordered c-spine xrays. I was uninjured besides the arm deal and 1st/2nd degree burns from the air bag. I know the insurance is going to only offer me $500 for pain. I'm soooo pissed! The body shop said its way too clean of a car to salvage. Anyone know what happens when you want to buy your car back from the insurance company and how the figure payment to you. Did I mention I was pissed? I'll post pictures tomorrow. :nonono: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear about your wreck, glad to hear you're okay though.

The insurance company will probably total it if the estimate comes to 90% or more of what the insurance company thinks the car is worth. If they do total it, buyback is typically 10%.

It doesn't take much to total a 10 year old car, so I wouldn't be surprised, based on what you've described.

Dave

Sorry to hear it man, I would be sooo pissed off if that happened. I just got mine paid off, so I am really cautios now. It sucks hardcore to pay for something and put work into it and have it completely trashed by someone else's ignorance.

Get a lawyer, thats for sure. You could have injuries that wont show up until later on.

Good luck man, let us know what the insurance company says. :nice:

Whats sucked was that I didn't even see it coming, there was no way to avoid it.

Maybe I'll be able to get a Cobra bumper and hood out of the deal. That might make it worth it...na it'll still suck. This guy better have insurance. I have a $1000 deductible. Didn't seem like a bad idea until now.

If he pulled out in front of you, his insurance will be forced to pay for your vehicle (I doubt they rule it as a no fault accident). I have a lawyer on retainer always, so yes, I would contact one.

As far as buying it back, I wouldn't. Newer cars do not handle accidents as well as real cars did back in the 60s. I would take the cash and only buy it back to part it out, or to get your mods back (not sure of what you have). Just tell your insurance company you want to buy it back if they total it. Most companies will give you 30 days or so.

I would also make his insurance pay for the doctor visit you took after the wreck, and for the x-rays (if you have health insurance, make them pay the deductible).

Just my $.02

When my brother's 95 vert was totalled he got $9000 from the insurance company. The only mods in it were gears, exhaust, rims (which I inhereted :banana: ), and a CAI. He also had a lot of stereo equipment in there. We managed to get a lot of stuff out of the car from the impound lot before they took it to the wrecking yard, or wherever they take totalled cars to.
Good Luck.

going to have to be alot of damage to total it out. Mine was in an accident and the total came up to $4,500 by the end of it and it was never in danager of being totaled. Then again non of my air bags came out either.

Sorry to hear about the accident. You have 2 choices with how you choose to proceed.

1. If you think the other driver is at fault, contact their insurance company and ask whether they accept 100% liability. If they do, then you can go through them to be covered for all medical expenses (personal "damage") and property damage (i.e., car damage). This way, your insurance company will not be involved and you do not have to pay your deductible. Different insurance companies have different policies with regards to totaling a car and selling it back to the owner. Some total the car, then give it to the owner if they want it at no cost (depending on the year of the vehicle). If the other insurance company does not accept liability, then proceed to step 2.

2. Go through your insurance company. (This way is often more convenient because your insurance company does all the work, especially with another ins. company that is stalling or doesn't want to pay.) Since you have collision coverage, you'll be paid for medical expenses. The damage will be paid for or the car will be totaled depending on the cost to repair. If the repair bill is close to 90% (as previously mentioned) of the car value, then it will most likely be totaled. I suspect the insurance co will offer no more than $6000 for the car. You can argue from that point but it's usually fruitless unless you have receipts for modifications done to the car. If the car is valued at $6000, then they'll cut you a check for $5000. Then your insurance coverage will pursue the other company in an effort to recover their money. If and when they do, you'll be reimbursed your deductible. I've seen this take up to a year.

I was recently rear-ended in my commuter car (93 Volvo 850). I had collision insurance on the car just in case there was an accident so that my ins company would do all the work and I'd get money no matter what the other driver's ins co. said. BTW, I paid 2600 for the car on ebay and got 4300, so I upgraded my commuter to a V8 (5.0) AWD Explorer.

No way I would go through MY insurance company, That would be crazy. His fault, his insurance!!!! If you go through your insurance your premium WILL GO UP no matter what you are told, this WILL happen. So you will be losing money two ways, $1000 for the deductable and the premium increase.

cmozez said:
No way I would go through MY insurance company, That would be crazy. His fault, his insurance!!!! If you go through your insurance your premium WILL GO UP no matter what you are told, this WILL happen. So you will be losing money two ways, $1000 for the deductable and the premium increase.

He's right. My car was hit in a parking lot, at the END of the parking lot. $1500 worth of damage. They sideswiped the door and jacked the whole thing up. This guy's insurance was being real a$$holes about paying us. So we looked into filing it with my insurance, (I have full coverage) nope, it was gonna then skyrocket. It wasn't even my fault! I wasn't even in the car!! It WAS PARKED!! and they wanted to rip me off. Insurance is a joke sometimes.

Heres the pictues. I'm going through his insurance. He has state farm, thank god! I haven't gotten the estimate yet from the body shop. State farm says its a total loss if it exceeds 70% of the value of the car. So we'll see. I'm buying it back and fixing it regardless. The body shop even told me to do that since its such a clean car. I'll have to see whats left after I buy it back if its totaled, which I'm sure it is. The airbags alone are $3000. Thats almost 50% right there. Full retail on the car minus the mods is $6588 but I'm sure they'll say its lower. They already have to pay for lost wages of $720 for two days plus pain/suffering plus medical bills. I guess the guy who hit me has to go to court in October for failure to give right away.

State Farm accepted 100% liability al least. They've been great SO FAR, well see...

Heres the accident photos I promised.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=498745