Catless Convertible?

gtvertsoon

Apr 17, 2005
Port Tobacco, MD
After searching this site and a few others, I could not find the answer to this. I have an 03 GT vert and I just bought some Mac longtubes and I'm looking into an H-pipe. I have already ordered a Mac catted shorty H and it is taking forever to get to me since Mac doesn't have any cats as of last week. I really want this exhaust on before my vacation so I'm thinking about going catless. Just talked to a friend who has a catless camaro and he said hes getting black crap, I'm assuming carbon deposits, all over his back seat (coupe). I wanted to know if anyone here is having problems with getting smog in their car or black stuff all over the interior from going catless in a vert.

• Sponsors (?)

gtvertsoon said:
After searching this site and a few others, I could not find the answer to this. I have an 03 GT vert and I just bought some Mac longtubes and I'm looking into an H-pipe. I have already ordered a Mac catted shorty H and it is taking forever to get to me since Mac doesn't have any cats as of last week. I really want this exhaust on before my vacation so I'm thinking about going catless. Just talked to a friend who has a catless camaro and he said hes getting black crap, I'm assuming carbon deposits, all over his back seat (coupe). I wanted to know if anyone here is having problems with getting smog in their car or black stuff all over the interior from going catless in a vert.

I have cats, and I still get black crap build up all over my back seats. Its just regular dirt and crap from riding down roads and what not. I cant see how a catless mid pipe would cause this problem.

How about smells? Any weird smells when you are sitting at a light or driving down the road and all the air is blowing in from behind you?

I'm just not sure if its worth it to go catless since I live in MD and would have to worry about my emissions testing and any other problems. Plus, if I get caught during a test, the stock H won't fit anymore with the LT's. I have a catted H on order and its PRICEY but I guess I'll just wait it out and play it safe (for now).

gtvertsoon said:
The cats will not be affecting this at all. If excessive soot or carbon is coming from his exhaust then there is a bigger problem with the engine.

Remember convertable cars have been around a lot longer than catalictic convertors have. I believe you guys got them in the 70's but cats wheren't a requirement for petrol cars in the UK until 1993.

This was not an issue.

go O/R or you'll be sorry later

I have an 00 GT vert that I've had for about 4 years, I've had O/R x-pipe for about 3 and never had any issues with carbon deposits, never got any tickets for being too loud even with 40 series flows and no cats, I really havn't even had a problem with exhaust getting all over the bumper, and the sound you get from O/R is amazing

if your worried about emissions then get the pipe w/cats. I'm in jersey and our emissions are pretty tough, i've actually had cops look under my car at roadside inspections...but i chose to pay the extra money for the bassani w/cats and i'm glad i did. Now if i ever move to florida i'll gut those babies like a fish but thats another story.

droptopponynj said:
if your worried about emissions then get the pipe w/cats. I'm in jersey and our emissions are pretty tough, i've actually had cops look under my car at roadside inspections...but i chose to pay the extra money for the bassani w/cats and i'm glad i did. Now if i ever move to florida i'll gut those babies like a fish but thats another story.

So when i come rollin thourgh NJ next month those ****ers are gona gimme **** with my o/r H :D

96WhiteNight said:
So when i come rollin thourgh NJ next month those ****ers are gona gimme **** with my o/r H :D

its possible, you going to E-town? if so they set up on 295 and on the nj turnpike frequently...they have been impounding ricer mobiles like crazy over here for no cats, mufflers too loud and red/blue neon lights. Since you out of state registered i don't know what they would do...local cops would just tell you to go away, but these are state troopers that are doing this. And last i heard no cats is federal and 10,000 dollar fine for owner and any shop who knowingly installs no cat pipe or tampers with existing cats? Atleast thats what i was told by a cop friend. Welcome to NJ please visit again soon.. :D

droptopponynj said:
its possible, you going to E-town? if so they set up on 295 and on the nj turnpike frequently...they have been impounding ricer mobiles like crazy over here for no cats, mufflers too loud and red/blue neon lights. Since you out of state registered i don't know what they would do...local cops would just tell you to go away, but these are state troopers that are doing this. And last i heard no cats is federal and 10,000 dollar fine for owner and any shop who knowingly installs no cat pipe or tampers with existing cats? Atleast thats what i was told by a cop friend. Welcome to NJ please visit again soon.. :D
Same in NY :mad: thats why i kept my stock H-pipe........just "gutted those puppies like a fish" as someone said.lol. looks stock if anyone looks under the car (which has also been done to me at roadside stops) and the mil's trick out the obdII.......i dont think im losing too much performance from an o/r hpipe...maybe just a little from turbulence in the empty cats.

droptopponynj said:

**** 10k, i would have to sell the car to pay that. Yea im from PA so maybe they can't do much and i can tell them to eat ****. Im going to toms river where ever the **** that is. My GF has family there. No doubt the copers will here me come blastin through the car is loud as ****. :D

96WhiteNight said:
**** 10k, i would have to sell the car to pay that. Yea im from PA so maybe they can't do much and i can tell them to eat ****. Im going to toms river where ever the **** that is. My GF has family there. No doubt the copers will here me come blastin through the car is loud as ****. :D

toms river, thats where downs ford is. also like 5 mins from the beach. just get off the gas and coast if you see any roadside inspections, they tend to leave non ricers alone if your not toooooo loud. :nice:

droptopponynj said:
toms river, thats where downs ford is. also like 5 mins from the beach. just get off the gas and coast if you see any roadside inspections, they tend to leave non ricers alone if your not toooooo loud. :nice:

Thanks for the tip bro, yea were gona head to the beach friday and some picnic on saturday. Whatever it will be a nice cruise in the stang. I will creap out of the inspection and mash on it about a mile down road. Make sure they know im on my way :D