CFI to Carb swap help! Please god!

bnjmn_ptrsn

May 3, 2009
Okay. I have a 1985 Mustang GT convertible with an AOD tranny. I can't stand it! I want to go carb so bad but can't find a good, COMPLETE parts list or how to. I've seen tons of little tid bits here and there and peoples GUESSES but I want someone who KNOWS what they're talking about. I know I will be using an Edelbrock Performer intake with a Holley 650 Double Pumper. I am buying a throttle linkage adapter from sacramento mustang. I also plan on an MSD 6AL box, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD Pro Billet Dist, etc and changing out the fuel pump. What else do I need? What can I get rid of (Eg: vacuum lines and ?) I'm not going to switch to a roller cam. I'm just going to go with a comp cams set up. I'm planning on putting in an Eagle 331ci Stroker kit. Also about how much horsepower can the AOD SAFELY handle and how much torque can a convertible SAFELY handle without twisting? I'm only shooting for 300-400 HP. I'm sure most of this sounds stupid to most of you but I'm new to forums and have no experience with engine building, swaps or any performance stuff other than teaching myself by doing and reading on the net over the years. I am by far not an idiot when it comes to cars but I'm new to swaps and large mods. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have switched mine over to a carb. The 6AL, Blaster2, Dist, Carb and Intake is all you need to change it over. I bought everything for an 85 mustang. The 85 was the last year that came out with a carb. Look on line for the different firing orders try the different ones till you find the one that works. You will need find a 12volt supply off your ignition switch to run the 6al box. Everything else will plug up just like your instructionthat will come with the parts you buy.
picture.php

Don't forget a fuel pressure regulator, if you plan on using the low-pressure in-tank CFI pump ... although I think on the '85 models, they already had gone to a single in-tank HIGH-pressure pump (like in the later EFI cars), in which case you'd have to ditch the high-pressure pump and either drop in a low-pressure one, or go with a mechanical one on the block (which would probably require a different timing chain cover), or rig up a low-pressure in-line pump ... but in any of those cases, a fuel pressure regulator would be a good idea.

Don't forget a fuel pressure regulator, if you plan on using the low-pressure in-tank CFI pump ... although I think on the '85 models, they already had gone to a single in-tank HIGH-pressure pump (like in the later EFI cars), in which case you'd have to ditch the high-pressure pump and either drop in a low-pressure one, or go with a mechanical one on the block (which would probably require a different timing chain cover), or rig up a low-pressure in-line pump ... but in any of those cases, a fuel pressure regulator would be a good idea.

Yes that is true, I forgot about the high pressure pump. I don't know what the rating is on that year model. If that one cam out with fuel injection then it has to be a high pressure pump. I didn't know that the 85s came out with fuel injection. back to the fuel pump. I am still running a 255 high pressure pump in the tank. A hot wire with fuse to the pump from the ignition switch. On the wheel well I have a pressure deducer and ajustable regulator with a gauge. You only need around 7pounds of pressure to run a carb. A stock pump for fuel injection puts out around 19 or so that is way to much!!

Also for that kind of Hp. If you are planing on running a big cam with a lot of lift you will need a stall converter for the AOD tranny. At least 1500. You Mite also invest in a set of sub frame connectors. That will keep your car from twisting!!

If i'm correct the 85 had a tbi system and not individual injectors. The 650 dp puts a lot of juice thru a 5.0 watch your jetting. the AOD is ok but probably won't take a lot of hard use in stock form, HP parts are available, jegs, summit ect. the best way to set up the aod is with pressure guages on the tranny, to watch for shift points. if not done correctly, good-bye auto. I have an 85 conv. with 5.0 ford 4v manifold , AFB and t-5 trans. Conv frames are beefier than a reg stang but I think they need more support if you go on up in hp. I have a friend with 351c , in a coupe and the builder made sure it had more reinforcing. One of my other mustangs is a 89 5.0 with fresh build ms cam, Weind, AFB, C-4 3.73 track lok, no fi so it's not a street legal hoss but it hooks up great!