challanged by a pontiac

88stanggonebad

Sep 25, 2004
hey guys, theres this guy at work that has a 1971 pontiac grand prix with a 455 big block pushing 500hp. now the guys at work tell me that i have no chance against him. its nothing serious we just joke around like that but it got me thinking about how a race between me and him would turn out, i have'nt dynoed my car or taken it to the strip, but i have a rebuilt 351w with keith black pistons at 10.1 compresion stock heads with a comp cams 270h cam (224/224, .500/.500). lont tube headers, pentronix ignition , weiand stealth intake, 650cfm carb out a c4 auto and 3.55 gears in my 67 coupe. . Really, do you guys think i stand a chance. what do you guys estimate i would run in the 1/4 mile. oh by the way he's running mickey thompson slicks.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a chance? Of course you do you have a Mustang right? all kidding aside. I'd like to see a dyno sheet or a 10 sec timeslip before i'd believe 500hp from his car for starters. People love to talk a good game. Unless of course you've seen his car personal and now for sure it puts out that power. You will for sure need some slicks unless he runs some street tires. Your car i gurantee is 600lbs or more lighter than a 71 Grand Prix unless he has done some serious weight reduction. I think you do have a good chance. I would for sure get your car to the track for some seat time first to get the feel of how your car runs and how it needs to be launched for optium performance and time before you even think about really racing that guy. You are given up 150+ cubes about. But hey I've seen little small blocks shut down the big guys and it's as cool as christmas when it happens. I say go for it and let us know what happens. If he beats you ,"hey he has a big block w/ slicks" you can tell everyone at work. But if you beat him he would never hear the end of it getting beat by a car w/ less motor..

yeah i guess theres only one way to find out, i dont doubt he has those 500hp because a while back when he had his engine built he showed me his build sheet with everything he got in that engine, i cant remember exactly but i know he has ported and polished heads and forged internals with 9.1 compression. he drives that car to work about once every other week. he doesnt have any wight reduction and no fiberglass part, everything is metal. ill let u guys know how that goes. eny idea how much power i might be making.

BottleFed70 said:
He'll take you in the 1/4 even if he only has 400hp. With your combo you're only in the 300hp range. True he's probably heavier.. but not that much heavier.
i think im gonna put that race off until i throw some more stuff into that mustang. what other stuff do you guys recomend

mustangman70 said:
What is your suspension/tire setup right now?
suspension wise i have what was there when i bought the car. looks to me like lowering spring up front with a aftermarket sway bar, and lowering leafspring with a aftermarket swaybar and new shackles. not much suspension wise. for wheels i have some TTII's on the way with 245/45/17 up front and 275/40/17 in the back.

Man I would love to get a shot at him, people always underestimate our little pony cars...... I love whipping up on big block cars with my mild little NA small block.....

Keep in mind there is a whole lot of talk when it comes to HP and most guys are always err to the high side to make their story better

Max Power said:
I'd like your chances a lot better if you had some nice aftermarket heads!

Same here - those heads are going to hold you back. Also, some traction in rearend wouldn't hurt.

I would do it for fun. Don't talk a big game...just see how the car does against a "500 hp" big block. Later when you modify the motor and traction, do it again.

I'd say if it's a clean grudge match where a handshake and you go home with what you brought O.K. But I would'nt bet pink's on it, I absolutely love my Ford's but I also own a '68 GTO ,it weigh's in at 3506lbs. with the stock 360 h.p. 400 it makes 445lb.ft. of torque ,I'd say the G.P. has a few lbs. more than that ,although h.p. was on the decline in '71 the 455 was still a torque monster ,and the G.P.'s like to hook up,If his car was the stock 390h.p. ,It would'nt be that hard to get another 100 h.p. with the work he has done.his car probably has 373 gears it was a comon ratio for that year. I'd have to say it would be an interesting match, Keep us posted.

Max Power said:
I'd like your chances a lot better if you had some nice aftermarket heads!

I def agree w/you on that one Max! :D I'm not a fan of the small cam, but that's neither here nor there. IMO heads, sticky tires, and some seat time and you could surprise him. Good luck, have fun, and no excuses if you lose cause racin' is too much fun!

Go for it! There's no way you could lose. I'd bet your house on it. :D

No, not really. You probably don't have a chance without several more modifications. Now get to work building that 351 so you can kick that big Pontiac. Lotsa Luck.

Do you have a traction locker or open diff? Once you have the power, you have to put it down. I had raced a Buick with a 455 back in the day and with my mildly built 351 a rolling start still left me spinning one tire at WOT. I never could get a good race against the Buick but my estimate is he would have beaten me, but not by much. My next mod after that event was installing a traction lock.

I'd also sugest taking a look at the how to drace race your classic thread that was posted a while back. I lost the link to it but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find. Lots of good stuff in there for drag racing.