Challenge question!? Camshaft!

BoostedSN95

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
cc,tx
How do you figure out what kind of camshaft is in the car:owned: without doing the following:

A) Pulling it from the engine and reading the part number.:nonono:
B) Remember which damn cam you have to begin with.:shrug:
C) Asking a fiend that does not remember.:bang:

Thought it was worth a post! ..:lol:

Anyone?
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Pulling a camshaft is not something I want to do right now or in the near future. I know it is a lunati cam.

By the way I want to know because I am curious to what Ecc Analyzer would say about my timing and what not if I put the cam specs in to it.

You could also measure lift of the lifter/pushrod while turning the engine. With Hyd lifters this would be hard to do unless they were pumped up and holding pressure. with intake off you could measure actual lift of the lifter, as for duration, lobe separation, I am at a loss. If you really want to know, pull it.

Dial caliper with rocker/pushrod loose...you could measure peak lift. Do a search for lunati cams with that lift (ballpark - probably won't get it perfect) and see if it is the only one in that ballpark for 302's...

The head would need to come off though more than likely, so then you might as well pull the cam out...

Sound clips would not be a very accurate way. People's combo's are so different along with engine vacuum, idle speed, exhaust sounds, heads, etc.