change the fuel pump?

tsoccer3299

Mar 21, 2004
Tacoma
ok so my car for awhile now had trouble starting when it was cold, now it seems to happen every once in awhile when it is a little warm too. It just cranks over but wont fire up. I'm kinda limited in what I can do since I'm here at college. I've changed the ect sensor, fuel filter, cleaned the iat, iac, and maf sensors and no luck. When I put the key in the on position I can hear the fuel pump prime like normal, sometimes i will sit there and prime it quite a few times and it seems like this makes a difference. I know I should buy a fuel pressure gauge but if I buy that and the fuel pump is bad then thats one more thing a poor college student cant afford. Thinking about just buying a 255lph pump and seeing if that works cause eventually i will need it if i go hci or something else. What do you guys think? This one on ebay any good? or just get a walbro?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/255-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33555QQitemZ8014093929QQrdZ1

• Sponsors (?)

Another vote for a Walbro pump. The size is up to you. It would depend upon what kind of mods and power you plan to make in the future.

Good luck.

tsoccer3299 said:
yeah i realize it is way overkill but on our cars dosent it not matter since we have a return fuel line? eventually i would like to get a supercharger
Correct. The return style fuel system passes the extra fuel back to the tank. There are arguable side effects from a too large of a pump (fuel heating, etc), but they are not worth considering. Especially considering your future plans.

Good luck.

tsoccer3299 said:
on jdsperformance they have a high pressure 255lph and a regular 255. whats the difference? guessing i dont need the high pressure one maybe?
The HP version does not have as much pressure drop off at around 60-70 PSI that the non-HP version does. The HP pump is nice for blower, FMU, etc applications.