Changing differential fluid

How often should I change my differential fluid if my car is a daily driver and I don't race it? My 2001 GT has 62,000 miles on it and I have never changed the fluid. Is this OK/normal? The owner's manual doesn't recommend changing it anytime soon, but I was just curious. My buddy changed the fluid in his Camaro SS when it had about 22,000 miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

I highly recommend changing it along with an o.e. gasket every 50K. Make sure you find out whether you need the friction modifier. My 97 GT required it, so I stopped by Ford and picked up the bottle. I then picked up some Mobile 1 fully synthetic rear fluid. People usually ignore their rear, and many do the same with trannies..........hence the large quantity of tranny and rear replacements. If they are kept up every 50K since new, you should get a very long life expectancy from them. Too many people wait too long to change their fluids which causes them problems when they go to change it. Good luck!

UhadMEatGT said:
I highly recommend changing it along with an o.e. gasket every 50K. Make sure you find out whether you need the friction modifier. My 97 GT required it, so I stopped by Ford and picked up the bottle. I then picked up some Mobile 1 fully synthetic rear fluid. People usually ignore their rear, and many do the same with trannies..........hence the large quantity of tranny and rear replacements. If they are kept up every 50K since new, you should get a very long life expectancy from them. Too many people wait too long to change their fluids which causes them problems when they go to change it. Good luck!
note that the OE gasket is actualy silicone RTV. Victor Reinz and Fel-Pro both make gaskets for the 8.8" diff.