Check Engine Light came on last night :(

V8JamesGT

Jan 22, 2006
I'll start off two weeks ago. I was low on fuel... it read about 25 miles until empty and I'm leaving a parking lot and my car starts idleing real low and dies. I make it to the gas station and put gas in it and it starts running fine again. Then on sunday I'm low on fuel again. It says 42 miles until empty and it does the same thing it did two weeks ago. So I put gas in it and it runs fine again.

So I was on my way to work last night and I'm at a stop light and the car starts idleing really low and dies while my foot is pushed in on the clutch all the way. Fuel level is well over half a tank. Then I start it back up and it runs really rough and doesn't speed up like it should and the check engine light comes on and the message center said something about engine running in some mode or something so I turned around and took it back home.

Now I remember someone here saying that the fuel pumps were going bad on a lot of these new mustangs. Does it sound like that or could someone have poured sugar or sand in my gas tank?

I'm calling the dealership first thing in the morning. I'm hopeing they will send a tow truck and pick up the car tell me whats wrong with it.

*I forgot to mention that my car is completely stock. No mods yet.

• Sponsors (?)

iskwezm said:
1)because as it runs low, the sediment in the tank is sucked up and 2) the fuel is used to cool the pump as it builds up heat.

I wouldnt think there would be many sediments in the tank of car with only 7300 miles on it.... I also thought the fuel filter was supposed to catch any sediments?

The dealership calls me this morning and says they start it up and it ran fine and there was no check engine light on! But when I had it towed to the dealership the check engine light WAS on. Watch them just tell me that nothing is wrong with it and I try to drive it home or to work the next day and it screws up again!

Car still occasionally runs rough.... The other day I was stopped at a light and the RPMs kept going up and down between 400-900RPMs yet I wasnt giving it any gas? Then it died, and I restarted it and it ran fine.