Choking When I Hit The Gas

Justin98Gt

Oct 29, 2015
I have an automatic 98 4.6I with some basic mods but lately it has been nothing but problems and I'm stuck now. It has been running rough for about a week and just recently if I hit the gas pedal more than half way down it chokes very bad and bogs down. After driving for about 30 minutes if I come to a stop and try to hit the gas the motor basically shuts down the rpms go to zero and It pulls back it gets to the point where I have to pull over for about 30 minutes and then it'll run.... Barely. It's not throwing any misfire codes or anything. I'm stuck. PLEASE HELP!

• Sponsors (?)

Start first by performing a through review of the battery and charging system. Does the battery hold a charge? Are the cables clean and tight? Have the alternator tested for correct output and excessive AC ripple (bad diode).

Do not cut corners on this step. Today's cars simply will not run right without a strong battery and charging system.

Next check to be sure that the maintenance items are up to date. Clean the MAF. Air filter? Fuel filter? Spark plugs?

The 4.6 modular is bad about collecting "stuff" in the spark plug wells. Use compressed air to clean out the spark plug wells. Note if there is any moisture in any of the spark plug wells. Inspect the spark plug boots for cracks and dry rot.

Confirm that the fuel pressure regulator intake vacuum reference line is connected and leak free. Inspect the line for raw gas.

Consider renting a fuel pressure gauge.

What is the condition of the spark plugs?

Reactions: 1 user