Claying vs. Polishing

tutone56

Sep 4, 2009
Rhode Island
I've been reading some very good information regarding detailing. I am wondering - If I will be polishing the entire vehicle is there a need to clay first? It seems to me that the polisher will remove all the contaminants that the clay will. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Clay = surface smooth as butter. Just FEEL the difference. Polish may make it smooth but it WONT get all the contaminants out. Claying will (grab) the contaminants without pulling any paint off. Oh and make sure you use a clay bar lube. Don't use soap because that will eat up the clay faster and also it doesn't work as well.

I finished my truck today (practicing for my Mustang someday). I was amazed on how well claying worked, especially on the lower side panels. I washed my truck and then used clay prior to polishing with the 7424XP. I was sold. It was amazing how dirty the clay got. I never expected it to work so well. I showed my daughter how well it worked and she said I sound like an infomercial :lol:
Anyway if your trying to decide if you should use it or not, I suggest you try it.