Cleaned up my TB, idle issues?

Tally_4.6

Feb 26, 2006
Orlando
Ok yesterday when i got home from work i cleaned up my TB plate with CRC cleaner. It was pretty dirty but i got most of it i'd say, so i start it up and let it run for a few minutes, reving it up and down. Before i did this my idle was at about 600-700 rpms, now it's at about 900 rpms. Now my throttle response feels a little quicker but it drives kinda funky, maybe it's just me. But anyway, is this a normal idle speed or is it higher and i'm not used to it?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think you should clean the tb . cause if you read the sticker on the tb saying do not clean in side the tb. I did clean my off and after read the sticker, i was reget to clean it.:bang:

yes theres a non-stick coating on the inside that you take off if you clean it. I read that in the haynes manual right after I cleaned mine.

everyone here said it makes no difference though. unfortuneately mine wasn't running (not really) before I cleaned it so I have nothing to compare it to.

yes theres a non-stick coating on the inside that you take off if you clean it. I read that in the haynes manual right after I cleaned mine.

everyone here said it makes no difference though. unfortuneately mine wasn't running (not really) before I cleaned it so I have nothing to compare it to.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I use 3M carb cleaner which is safe for our TB's.

Did you take your TB off to clean it?? Check your vacuum hoses. Disconnect your battery and see if that helps. Don't stress, it's pretty difficult to screw up cleaning a throttle body.

I know this is like 9 days later, but i went on vacation and haven't been on here since i've been back. Anyway i used the CRC TB cleaner which says safe for coated throttle bodies, but yeah it's still doin it. My idle rpm is about 900, what kinda idle rpms do you guys have? I may or may not disconnect the battery to see if that helps.

Tally_4.6:

Stock '98 idle is 560 RPM in D and 656 RPM in N. (No flame intended svttech76, just stating what I see in my SCT stock file).

You need to clear the computer's memory of learned stuff by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes.

While you're at it, you might as well clean the IAC. But, do that after you reset the computer so you don't have two possible "cures" for the high idle correction.

HTH,

Chris

Ok i disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes yesterday and cleaned out my IAC, but i don't think it did anything really. Still drives the same, oh well. Now i gotta remember how to reset my sound settings on my cd deck.:mad: