Clogged fuel rail, possible?

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
The passenger side of my engine looks leaner than the drivers side. A mechanic I know says that my fuel rail might be clogged since the this all started when the feed line from my fuel pump popped off a little bit, and the car wasn't running properly......

How could the fuel rail get clogged up? I swapped the injectors from the passenger side over to the drivers, and it seems to have cleared up a little bit....How should I go about cleaning out the rail? (if it's possible to clog?)

The problem I am having is the engine seems to skip when I am cruising... I can feel it most in 5th around 1500-2300rpms

Here is a pic of one of plugs from the passenger side of the engine (which seems leaner than the drivers side)

plug2.jpg

Also another thing I am considering is the pulsewidth of the injectors. Does the MAF control this? if the MAF was bad maybe it's giving incorrect pulsewidths?

• Sponsors (?)

Clogged fuel rail? not likely.
Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great.

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
OR
See http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html for more descriptive help
OR
Do a cylinder balance test to find clogged injectors or injectors that aren't firing. Warm the car's engine up to normal operating temperature. Use a jumper wire or paper clip to put the computer into test mode. Start the engine and let it go through the normal diagnostic tests, then quickly press the throttle to the floor. The engine RPM should exceed 2500 RPM's for a brief second. The engine will shut off power to each injector, one at a time. When it has sequenced through all 8 injectors, it will flash 99 or the number of the failing cylinder such as 22 for cylinder #2. Quickly pressing the throttle again up to 2500 RPM’s will cause the test to re-run with smaller qualifying figures. Do it a third time, and if the same cylinder shows up, the cylinder is weak and isn’t putting out power like it should. See the Chilton’s Shop manual for the complete test procedure

jrichker, I got come interesting codes....

These are my codes:

KOER
94 Thermactor
44 Thermactor

KOEO
15 ROM Test Failure (because I have my tweecer plugged in??? :shrug:)
81 Thermactor
82 Thermactor
95 Fuel Pump circuit problem (this is what I find interesting...)

Continuous
41 O2 sensor signal (I was driving around with O2's unplugged to see if they were the problem, that might have caused this) the site you posted says this code means "System was lean for 15 seconds or more (no HO2S switching)"

66 No MAF signal (It's plugged in and working :confused:)
91 System lean, FP out of range (It's at 53psi) or injectors out of balance
95 Fuel Pump circuit problem (again)

And for the balance test, I got a 9 :shrug: :confused:

Now, codes that are stored as continuous, they are codes that went off, and were stored, but haven't returned, else they would we in one of the KO tests, right?

Oh yeah these codes were not in the computer prior to me checking codes when my fuel pump feed line popped off the intank pump. (which I didn't know happened therefore the reason for me to check for codes)

And all the EGR codes have always been there since I do not have it hooked up because I don't think it works...