Clunk sound coming from under dash?

shallowreef

Nov 3, 2005
illinois
Hi everybody,

I just started to hear this "clunk" about two weeks ago and i want to know what you guys think it may be.

When i start my car i hear this clunk sound that seems to be coming from under the dash more towards the shifter. I only hear when i start the car. Put the car in gear and give it gas after sitting at a stop light. If i'm cruising and i punch it i don't hear anything. But then again when i punch it the car is so loud that i can't hear anything else.

Well i took it to my mechanic and while i was getting my oil changed he looked at it and thinks that i may need new tie rods and bushings. He says that Fords are notorious for having screwed up front ends. Now i don't know how much of that is true but my father n' law has always driven Ford trucks and he has always had problems with the front end of his trucks. But i'm not sure if this problem relates to Mustangs?

I talked another guy and told him the problem and he thinks that i need new U-joints. Then another person told me that i may need new tranny mounts. Then another guy says that the sound is just my exhaust banging against the trans housing.

I don't know what the hell it is and i'm starting to get a little nervous. Do any of you guys have an idea as to what it could be? I really need your help!

Thanks,

Nick

P.S. all my mods and car info are in my sig if for some reason you need to know.

• Sponsors (?)

Does not sound like a front end issue. I don't know of any front end issue with mustangs. Eventually the tie rods go bad, but over 100k.

Maybe U joints, but you can check those yourself. Not sure about tranny mounts, but I think you can check all of that and make sure they are tight.

Just get under it and make sure nothing is hitting and that things are tight.

if it is happens just at start up in park it very well could be an exhaust clearance issue. then you powerbrake you are torquing the engine as well and that could be changign the exhaust location a bit as well.

if the exhuast is banging on the tranny you should be able to see evidence of this though I would think.

if it is the ujoints there should be some play in them so tha should be easy to find and you would be able to reproduce that sound pretty easy. I mean if there is play in the ujoint when you put it in drive you can usually her a clunck or something.

I have a hard time seeing how starting the car is going to make the front suspention make much noise.