Clutch adjustment

• Sponsors (?)

The computer has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch whatsoever. I've been into that hydraulic system repeatedly. If you are trying to get your pedal to engage the clutch closer to the floor, you will have to install an aftermarket clutch assy. I have a Centerforce clutch with an aluminum flywheel and it was engaging too close to the floor. About 2 inches from the floor it was beginning to engage. I pulled the tranny out again yesterday and installed an 1/8' shim behind the throwout brg. Now it feels great.

Normally, on these cars the clutch engages up much higher. Check to see if your brake fluid level is up at the master cylinder. That's where the clutch draws from. If it's up higher than the black rubber rubber hose on the side of the reservoir, then you're ok there. If your clutch is low now and wasn't low before, you may have picked up some air in the system somehow. If it was always low to the floor like now, you may need to add a shim like I did but that requires removal of the tranny. For now, be sure the level is up on the brake reservoir, jack up the driver's side of the car so the front tire is about 8" off of the floor and slowly pump the clutch pedal in and out for about 5 minutes. Pump it slowly so each stroke takes about 5 seconds. This will bleed out any air caught in the system. While driving the car with your foot on the gas, start to push the clutch in slowly to see how far you have to go in before it starts to slip. If it slips within the first inch or two of pedal movement, then you probably don't have any air in the system. It won't hurt to bleed it though.

Yes you can either shim the bearing, or while you are at it Pro-motion has a adjustable bearing that works awesome. I installed it on a customers car and it shifts like a new tranny and clutch. Doesn't feel like the same car.