clutch cable and quadrent

• Sponsors (?)

adjustable clutch cables and quadrants pertain to anyone. what it does is allow you to change the point at which your clutch pedal releases your clutch. If yours releases right at the floor at you want it to release a little higher, adjust it.... If it releases to high and you want it to release right at the floor, adjust it.... Its mainly personal prefernence.
I have a firewall adjuster and a stock quadrant and it works fine for me. I can adjust the release point up and down as i want....

-Ryan

Get an adjustable quadrant and firewall adjuster and keep your stock cable. Don't waste your money on an adjustable cable, it'll break quickly. I have the UPR setup, it's pretty nice. Don't forget to budget an afternoon or so for the quadrant install. :bang:

Ash

I had the stock plastic quad break on me and it sucks, get the billet quad, it reduces the flex in the stock quad cause its plastic. If the stock quad has never been changed, expect it to break on you.

when you get the billet quad. get the firewall adjuster. After you replace the stock one there is no way to adjust the clutch.

yes ive had mine fail at 140,xxx roughly. the plastic one's teeth wear out, and can even break to the side. mine started getting stiffer and harder to push in the clutch to the point that my foot would hurt for a week if i drove the car for a day. it finally wore all of the teeth down, and i was stuck in traffic. if youve replaced a cable before, the second time around is incredibly quicker. just use needle nose pliars to pull the cotter pins out, then push the quadrant off its posts. if its your second or third time messing with a cable, i bet it would be done in an hour. made a world of difference in my old car.

A good reason to leave it be.

that is why you buy the kit with the quadrant and the firewall adjuster.

Waste of money on a 4 banger.

umm... no not really. I think its definatly worth the money. Have you ever had a cable or quadrant go out on you in traffic and have to push your car off the road and get it towed home. And an adjustable quadrant has absolutly nothing to do with being a four banger or a 5.0.

I have a firewall adjuster and alum UPR quad on my LX - 10 times better than the "feel" of the plastic flexy piece of crap stock unit on my svo and my 2 buddies svo's.
When I put a clutch in the 'vo, I'll get rid of the stock stuff.
Recommended.

"A good reason to leave it be.

Waste of money on a 4 banger."

So is getting the car towed home cause the stock quad broke...

"Have broken the short cable at the bellhousing a few times, though, and that is why you should learn how to shift without using the clutch. A tow ain't cheap."

Its all great until your stuck in first and don't want to rear end the car in front of you (starting the car in gear isn't the best choice) `cause replacing known problem parts is a waste of money on a four banger. Granted the four banger has just as much power as the 5.0 :shrug: its still a waste of money LMAO

Good clutch engaugement and feel as well as good shift feel is very important and can really make a difference in a car, no matter which engine. That plastic POS is a peice of junk. I have the adjustable Ford cable, the same cable as the stocker but has an adjustable tip.

BELL said:
Its all great until your stuck in first and don't want to rear end the car in front of you (starting the car in gear isn't the best choice) `cause replacing known problem parts is a waste of money on a four banger.
When the stock quadrant actually BREAKS or makes a sloppy feel in the clutch, THEN I will consider it a "known problem part"...

I have already eliminated the short cable with a part of my own design, which WAS a "known problem part."
Granted the four banger has just as much power as the 5.0 :shrug: its still a waste of money LMAO
Um, what?

will the quadrant affect pedal pressure? the clutch in my 2.3 has been hard as crap for as long as i can remember, and i have always attributed it to a crappy pressure plate, will the quadrant help it loose some pressure? I mean you have to put a ton of weight into it and the pedal barely moves, the clutch in my GT is way easier to manipulate than the 2.3

thats what i said about mine.....when i bought my gt, it always had a hard pedal pressure, then just kept getting worse, and it was so hard for a month i stopped driving it, and i finally HAD to drive it and thought the cable broke........after finding it was the quadrant, and replacing it, it was so easy to press the pedal, felt like a different car.