clutch cable issues

Hey

Need a bit of help. I have just installed a quicktime bell housing with the 157 tooth fly wheel and all the goods. Now my clutch cable is acting up. When I push in the clutch is does not let me put it in to gear. I worked fine for about two weeks and then just stopped.I got a new cable and when I try to adjust it, I pull out on the cable and my clutch pedal flies up and hit the underside of my dash. When I get the pedal back down where it should be the cable is loose again. Anyone have any ideas or know of anyone that has change over to the Fox body clutch set up.

thanks, Jansen

• Sponsors (?)

Does the clutch work with the cable adjusted so the pedal is up against the underside of the dash?

First thought is thats where the pedal should be, all the way up.

You want it lower? Sometimes you don't get what you want. :shrug:

Second thought is, the cable is installed in such a way that cable movement is required to take up slack in the system before the clutch starts to disengage. IE: I don't know how the fork is kept in place over the pivot, spring fingers, spring clip, if the retainer get between the pivot and fork, that could cause problems. 2A: Or the throw out bearing retainer clip could have gotten on the wrong side of the fork. 2B: Or the cable housing could be flexing.

I've had both factory V8 and V6 4 gears, the V8 when new. The difference was night and day, the V8 had a medium light pedal feel and could be adjusted in te upper ~ 1/4 of travel, the V6 ... every time I disengage the clutch I was expecting the cable to snap or something somewhere to give, it was that heavy. :shrug:

Nope the pedal pops down into the normal position and then it works its self loose again with out moving the adjuster. My pedal is really loose in there as well, could something on the pedal have broken. It had been working fine untill I upgrade the new bell housing, I drive it around for two weeks and then all of a sudden it would not go into gear. I would be fine with the pedal that high if it worked but it doesn't. Have you heard of any one converting over to the new style quadrent clutch cables. I am using a V-8 clutch cable as well. I'm sure that the throw out bearning is in the correct place as well.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Need more info...

Did you get the standard 302 Quicktime belhousing or the MII version? From the picture on the Quicktime website, the MII version seems to have the clutch fork angled downwards more than the standard version. Both versions have the 157 tooth flywheel.

Did you have any clearance issues with the larger bell? Given its more gradual curves, I expected that even the full sized 302 bell from Quicktime would have more clearance than a factory MII 147 tooth bell. Do you have headers?

I need more information about your setup...

-Do you have the factory MII clutch adjuster on the firewall? Is the plastic adjustment nut in good condition?

-Is the clutch cable fastened to the fender like the factory?

-How does the clutch cable mount to the Quicktime bell? Is there an adjustment nut there?

-Do you have a factory MII clutch cable?

Can you get pictures of the firewall adjuster, clutch pedal attachment, and clutch fork attachment?

I've been wondering about using the quadrant style system also, but I think that the Fox Mustangs have a built-in adjuster mechanism in the clutch pedal that would make a straight forward swap difficult.

Has anyone swapped to a hydraulic clutch in their MII yet? Surely that would be a better system than the clutch cable.

You will have to have someone press the clutch in while you watch the fork move. The pivot ball may need to be adjusted or it came loose. If you cannot get it in gear the disk sounds like its not releasing. The cable should not have that much slack in it you speak of. Let us know what you find.