Drivetrain Clutch cable slack after new clutch install

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
I'm installing a new King Cobra clutch and just finally wrestled getting the transmission back on. I got the transmission started but couldn't get it in the last 1/2" or so, so I pushed down on the clutch pedal and was able to get it the rest of the way in.

The clutch cable has a good deal of slack now (3/4" - 1"). The clutch pedal will fall halfway to the floor before it starts to engage against the pressure plate. I looked through the hole in the bellhousing and everything appears to be OK and the clutch fork/TOB moves on the shaft bearing retainer freely. The only thing I cannot see is the clutch fork/pivot ball connection.

Is there a way to tell if the clutch fork/pivot ball is intact with the transmission installed? I REALLY don't want to pull it back off again just to check this connection.

There is a quadrant installed, and the clutch cable is hooked into the middle slot but the cable wasn't this loose before the install. Is this extra slack somehow associated with having a new clutch? I have a firewall adjuster to install, but I want to make sure everything is right before I put everything back together again.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm curious as to why you didn't go ahead and install the adjuster while the cable was off? Didn't you install the new aluminum quadrant?

My suggestion is install the adjuster, pull the cable snug when hooking it up to the fork on the trans and tighten the jam nut and then see where you are with your clutch. It should be mostly ok or maybe needing just a little adjustment at the firewall.

Also, which hook did you attach the clutch cable to? If you have a double hook your supposed to attach it to the hook that's closest to the firewall If I remember correctly and that might give you more slack than your stock one because it's meant to be used in conjunction with the FW adjuster.

I'm curious as to why you didn't go ahead and install the adjuster while the cable was off? Didn't you install the new aluminum quadrant?

My suggestion is install the adjuster, pull the cable snug when hooking it up to the fork on the trans and tighten the jam nut and then see where you are with your clutch. It should be mostly ok or maybe needing just a little adjustment at the firewall.

Also, which hook did you attach the clutch cable to? If you have a double hook your supposed to attach it to the hook that's closest to the firewall If I remember correctly and that might give you more slack than your stock one because it's meant to be used in conjunction with the FW adjuster.

I did not install the quadrant. It was installed by the previous owner. I've completely removed the old cable now and have got the FW adjuster installed. I'll get the new cable installed next, hook it to the middle hook on the quadrant and see if I can adjust the FW adjuster to a point where everything feels OK. It's just wierd that everything was tight and suddenly it's not after I get the trans back on.

What I'm trying to avoid is bolting everything back up (trans, cross member, h-pipe, etc. and then starting it up just to find I can't drive it because the clutch fork has fallen off the pivot ball. I'm thinking this is the only thing that could be wrong, and I'm hoping I'll be able to tell if something isn't right after I get the new cable installed and can operate the clutch and shifter, even if the car isn't running.

Shouldn't have to loosen the trans to reposition the fork onto the pivot ball, if that's indeed what happened. Time to pull the inspection cover and have a look at everything with a flashlight and a mirror.

I got the cable installed and adjusted just based on feel. Everything seems to operate fine but like MFE suggested, I'm going to get a mirror and flashing to verify that the clutch fork is indeed seated on the pivot ball. I just gotta find a mirror long enough and big enough to see.

The starter? Why? That's like getting a colonoscopy to check tonsils. There's a cover installed over where the cable connects to the fork. It's commonly called an "inspection cover" for a reason. One small bolt and one light bump forward and it's off. There sits the clutch fork, plain as day, and about a 3x6 hole available for examining what lies beyond.