clutch cable snapped

Blackened302

Jul 21, 2005
South TX
clutch cable snapped on the way home today, snapped right from the quadrant. of course, i can't turn the car on, much less drive it--had it towed home right to the driveway :D .

so what do you guys recommend? i have the UPR triple-hook quadrant and eXtreme firewall adjuster.

so far i'm looking at the Steeda adjustable cable @ $40, but i've read a couple guys saying they like to use the one from Ford.

anyone have an extra cable they're willing to part with?

i can't move my car 'til i replace this and it's my dd (start school on thursday) :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Guy I work with uses the cheap $40 cables and keeps an extra one.. he says they last about 18 months on his factory five cobra...

I kept my stock one and keep the $40 in the car as a back-up...

Now as for driving the car, why not... I figure if mine ever breaks I can start the car in first gear, then shift without the clutch, only have to worry about actually stopping, but that is what first gear, four way flashers, and creeping along are for....

^^^ Exactly! Mine broke last winter right at the fork on the transmission. On top of that, when I went onto the side of the road I got stuck in snow. Luckily a nice guy happend to be passing by and had an empty trailer on the back of his truck. He got me to my house but I just put it in 1st and started the car to get into the garage. The new cable wasn't hard to put in, but since I couldn't just replace the cable with the stock adjuster on there I had to put on some the Maximum Motorsports adjuster and quadrant. I still haven't got their adjuster working properly though, i'm thinking about going with a better one, if there is such a thing.

A guy I work with hates his Steeda too. He tried a couple others too. He checked out my Fiore before i installed it and said if he has to do it again that is what he will go with.

The price is right on them too!

I got mine from MM, I'm pretty sure the cable is an actual Ford piece, got it along with the quadrant and adjuster. I read somewhere, probably one of the mags or searching on here, that the genuine Ford cable is the best replacement, something about the aftermarket cables being thinner and more prone to snapping

thanks, JT--i'll def give MM a try.

[-- EDIT: found this over at MM:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i.../store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=50_160
it's 60, while the non-universal is at 190. that work ok? --]

hef: that's exactly what i'm afriad of--those are why i'm doubting even the steeda cable. it's at 40, but i've read negatives about it and other cables.

50resto has an oem replacement, but it's 180--that seem right to you guys? what'd you guys get your ford cable at?

bring this one back from the dead.

i got the MaximumMotorsport universal Ford cable (82-04) and have a UPR Triple-hook quadrant and Firewall adjuster.

link to the cable:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...age=product_info&cPath=50_160&products_id=897

the MM cable is too long. perhaps if i don't bolt up the cable to the chassis but it'll be too loose and wobble around, plus i'm afraid it'll come loose from either the pedal or the clutch fork.

any ideas? is there another spot i got bolt up the cable to to make this work?

i'd appreciate some good responses--the car's my dd and i have no clutch cable in it right now (original snapped). thanks.

Punisher302 said:
where'd you get your "OEM quality" cable? how much you willing to let it go for?

any other responses/suggestions to get the MM cable working?
I got it from O'reileys for like $40. All my biddies who work there said it was "OEM quality so I trusted them.

Ill let it go for like $30 shipped.