Clutch got REAL soft, WONT WORK

FastA$$89Vert

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2002
Trenton, NJ
Clutch has been in for over 2 years, just put the top of the motor back together, clutch was fine, all of a sudden it went soft, wont work at all now, cant even get it into gear.

What could this be???? Someone said the pressure plate may have collapsed.

• Sponsors (?)

Your cable could have just streched or broken, check that. Or check the quadrant and check down where the cable attaches to the fork, may have come loose. What kind if clutch you got? Did it just stop working while you were driving or did you cut if off and come back and it wouldn't engage?

Does the pedal go to the floor and just stay there? Look around where the header where the clutch cable runs past and make sure it hasn't melted through the line, that could cause some problems.

Agreed. The cable (and stock quad/pawl, if applicable) is the first place to look. Look for total clutch fork movement while someone presses the clutch pedal. If there is hardly any fork movement, the cable or quadrant/pawl (if stock) are likely.

all of a sudden it went soft, wont work at all now, cant even get it into gear.

Sounds like your cable with that comment. My cable on my '03 went out a few months ago. It wouldnt go into gear at all with the car on. With the car off, it would go in and out of gear ok. It happened just like that, I had no warning. Was at a Chik-fil-a drive through, pulled out to get on the hw, all of a sudden the pedal got soft feeling, and I could barely get it into 3rd. I managed to finally get it in 4th on the hw, and 2nd at the last light going into my work. Coasted into work. Popped the hood, and the damn cable looked like someone had just shredded it. Ive never seen one come apart like that one did. Looked like someone stuck a cherry bomb in it and it exploded mid line...
Slapped a new one on and it was good to go!