Clutch Replacement Times - Who is the Best?

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I have to be the SLOWEST one around...but just wondering:
What are some of your times with a standard T5 and bolt on exhaust?
My official time is 15 hours with only 2 decent breaks! :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

Both i get faster as i get older.. My friend bernie and i have each done them about 5 or more times so we are pretty good at it.. We can pull the engine in under 45 minutes..

we replaced the clutch in the 86 a year ago or so and it took us about 3 hours. my first time replacing one and my dad's 4th or 5th time. i kno whe has done it to the 76 about 4 times since he has onwed it.(23 years)

damn 15 h0urs....did that include rebuilding the tranny and waiting 0n parts t0 get shipped? just kidding man, it can take a while if y0u havent d0ne quite a few. im pretty sure i c0uld d0 0ne n0w in tw0 h0urs 0r less depending 0n where im d0ing it. me and a buddy swapped my car fr0m a c4 t0 a t5 in ab0ut 4 h0urs 0r s0.

OK - so it was probably 12 hours taking out any breaks - it really sucked though. I can't figure out what took us so long! Reassembly definately took the longest.
Maybe it was using hand tools?

Can I do the swap without taking out my L/T headers, and are there any special tools needed besides a torque wrench and alignment tool. Also how high should the car be off the ground to do it, as I'll be working in the gravel parking lot next to my apartment

8950HO said:
Take your time.

Don`t play beat the clock on big jobs.

+1 - not worth having to do it twice to fix a prior mistake. It's taken me anywhere from 3-4 hours the many times I have done it (jack stands/hand tools - and that time includes getting the car in the air and back down on the ground).

Seen a tranny swap done in about 15 minutes at the track... Done by a few guys but to make the next round they had to do it.

Its much easier when th midpipe doesnt have to come off. My guess is they would have had the clutch and stuff done in about 30 minutes!