Cobra...BMW

DcDisturbed947

Jun 2, 2003
Alright without thinking about money, would u guys take the BMW M3 or a Cobra? both 04 of course. I know I know there's like a $20,000 difference, but just wondering. I mean, damn the M3's so hot. I honestly don't know if there's anything under $100,000 that I would take over it. Then if we got over to the 120's I may go for the Mercedes SL500, but u know, I would still have to think about it. Am I the only who likes the M3 THAT much or are there others out there?

• Sponsors (?)

DcDisturbed947 said:
The M3 would win in a race though right? Or not? I don't know, we're talking stock for stock here

No, the Cobra would own the M3.

My friend's stock Cobra has 100 more hp than a stock M3 (433 vs. 333), not to mention that the torque isn't that good on the M3- definately not in Cobra range.

The only BMW i would drive is an M5... i can't stand the M3's, i dunno why... they'd smoke both my cars combined (well, maybe not) ... but ive never been a bimmer fan, so to answer the question, '04 cobra all the way.

5-SpeedStallion said:
No, the Cobra would own the M3.

My friend's stock Cobra has 100 more hp than a stock M3 (433 vs. 333), not to mention that the torque isn't that good on the M3- definately not in Cobra range.

Yea, :bs: '03/'04 Cobra's are all rated at 390/390.

If you just want an all-around awesome sports car that has power, handles like it's on rails, and is a top notch car, get the newer M3. If you want an incredable beast of a powerhouse, get the Cobra. The build quality is where you get the $20k difference.

ChaosStarter said:
Yea, :bs: '03/'04 Cobra's are all rated at 390/390.

Umm, sorry, his Cobra dyno'ed at 371whp on Roush's dyno. I was there, in fact.

371 X 1.17= 434 crank hp(sorry, I was 1 hp off)

Oh, and it was dyno'ed in 80 degree heat and Florida humidty 15 mins. after an hour long drive, so it would dyno at 380+ in better weather EASILY. Oh, he does have a K&N air filter and a Cobra grill emblem... other than that, BONE STOCK. Also, he has trapped 113mph in the 1/4 and this is his first manual car.

I'd be careful to call BS on anything involving a 03-04 Cobra in the future. They are incredible (read:underrated) cars.

ChaosStarter said:
If you just want an all-around awesome sports car that has power, handles like it's on rails, and is a top notch car, get the newer M3. If you want an incredable beast of a powerhouse, get the Cobra.

Well, many car magazines compared the new Cobra to the E46 M3 (not in comparison tests, as in "the Cobra is a lot like the M3") so, it is in the same performance league. Also, many of the E46 M3 engines have failed (i.e. blown, exploded, etc.), however, that is not the case with the new Cobra's whose engines have been known to handle as much as 900whp w/o a problem. Don't get me wrong, the M3 is a great car and is NOT in the same class of car, but the performance all-around is similar and there is no stronger engine than the current Iron-block, Manley Rod, 03 Cobra engine.

DcDisturbed947 said:
Alright without thinking about money, would u guys take the BMW M3 or a Cobra? both 04 of course. I know I know there's like a $20,000 difference, but just wondering. I mean, damn the M3's so hot. I honestly don't know if there's anything under $100,000 that I would take over it. Then if we got over to the 120's I may go for the Mercedes SL500, but u know, I would still have to think about it. Am I the only who likes the M3 THAT much or are there others out there?

I would take the cobra, I see more M3's than cobras and they dont appeal to me much anymore. A saleen s-281E though would take the cake. SL500 Yeah they may look cool but they ARE SLOW for what you pay. Seriously a Stock GT would be a good race for the SL500, for that money why not get a viper or a 911? Or if your in the 120k range look at an e-55 those are up there right?

but the question was cobra or M3. I know of course a viper would take on both of them, but thats a lot more of an exotic car. Why not just go and get a Ferrari F50, it'll take on all the cars mentioned. No wait, why not a McLarern, yeah its like a million dollars, but hey it'll win

DcDisturbed947 said:
but the question was cobra or M3. I know of course a viper would take on both of them, but thats a lot more of an exotic car. Why not just go and get a Ferrari F50, it'll take on all the cars mentioned. No wait, why not a McLarern, yeah its like a million dollars, but hey it'll win

Or you could spend less and have a car nearly equal to the F50... the Ford GT. C&D said that out of all the production cars including Ferrari, Lambo, etc., the only car that would definately beat the GT on the track would be the Enzo.

Back on topic... the Cobra is a better performance car than the M3 but you get BMW refinement and prestige for your $20k, so it just depends on what you want.

And finally, yes, the viper is sweet, but the Z06 or Cobra has better bang-for-the-buck. I lightly modded Cobra would easily run with a Viper, however, once again, the Viper has much more prestige, shock factor, and is a significantly better overall car. Plus, its rare and its just dang sweet. Once again, depends what you want.