Cobra brakes

Wat to do the cobra brake swap on my 65 mustang, its hard to find them here. Not to many cobra's here in europe and those are very fond of their brakes :rlaugh:.

Where can i find a set of Front and rear calipers beside ebay ? Anyone has a set and want to ship to the netherlands ? Would be very thankfull for it !

• Sponsors (?)

Going to order the front brackets there ! Someone over here as a set of rear brackets for me !

Other things i need for the conversion ?

I now have:

Front Calipers
Front rotors (brembo/cobra 13 inch)
Rear Calipers
Rear rotors (Cobra 11.65 inch)
Brakepads front
Brakepads rear
Braided brake lines
Rear Wheel bearings
Rear mounting brackets.

Except the front brackets i have everything i need of ? And parking brake cables ofcourse.

What kind of master cilinder would be best ? already have a powerbooster.

Going to order the front brackets there ! Someone over here as a set of rear brackets for me !

Other things i need for the conversion ?

I now have:

Front Calipers
Front rotors (brembo/cobra 13 inch)
Rear Calipers
Rear rotors (Cobra 11.65 inch)
Brakepads front
Brakepads rear
Braided brake lines
Rear Wheel bearings
Rear mounting brackets.

Except the front brackets i have everything i need of ? And parking brake cables ofcourse.

What kind of master cilinder would be best ? already have a powerbooster.

I was able to reuse my old ebrake cables. If you have the old pot master cylinder swap in a dual reservoir master cylinder for front and rear disc brakes. I used a mid 80's SVO, the hard lines go into the "wrong" side of the master cylinder. Wilwood has some nice master cylinders, if you are going with power assisted brakes you will want a bigger bore MC.

Ok thanks, you just modified the stock cables ? They are not very old so that will save some money (just bought them).

I want to go with the wilwood MC, what kind do you advise ? I have power assisted brakes now !

I didn't modify the cables, I just connected them. You might need make a cable housing stop though.
If you're master cylinder is good now, it will be good with the 13" rotors. If you go with a wilwood one, get the same bore size you currently have. This all assuming you already have a dual reservoir MC.

'94-'98 Cobras had twin-piston aluminum PBR front calipers with 38mm pistons. '99-'04 Cobra front calipers switched to 40mm pistons.

'94/'95 Cobras had vacuum boosters with 15/16" bore diameter master cylinders.

In '96, the Cobras [and Mustang GTs] switch from vacuum boosted brakes to hydroboosted brakes. The MC bore was increased slightly to 1.00". The '94/'95 Cobra MCs will bolt onto an early Mustang firewall or onto a vacuum booster, but the '96-up Cobra hydroboost MCs will not.

Increasing the bore diameter of the MC will decrease pedal travel but it will also decrease the amount of pressure the MC will output.

A large bore MC with no booster will equal more leg force to apply the brakes, so you have to be careful in selecting parts for a good balance of brake function and driver comfort.

FYI: '01 Bullitt and '03/'04 Mach 1s also had the same exact brake components as the '99-'04 Cobras.

Sorry for a link to a post I made from another Mustang site, but too much info here to retype.

FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum: Ford 4-Wheel disc MCs

Got the brakes today !

IMG_5649.jpg

Another pile of parts that must be mounted on the car :rolleyes:

IMG_5650.jpg

Laser cut the rear brackets, gone order the front ones at street and track (hopefully they will ship to the netherlands

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg

Now searching for the front brackets and M/C then we can install it ! curious about the stopping power after :nice:

Indeed, showed your car to my father and family to show that i wasnt the only one who painted his mustang yellow :nice:

When you are done with the wide arch, do you going to paint it in the same color scheme ? Think it looks great on your car !

I'm thinking about the R apron also btw

you will need new rear axle bearings too because the bracket will not slide through + machine a little gap around to seat the bearing into the bracket. Also what rear rotors are you going to use?