Cobra intake finally found and installed

aztecgwynn

Apr 3, 2015
After a few weeks ago asking opinions on installing 77MM MAF but was pointed in direction of changing out stock intake to something better.
Well after a few days I found a legit not Chinese Cobra intake. Intake was installed and now car runs much better.
My 93 Fox has stock bottom end, stock cam, aluminum Edelbrock performer heads, scorpion roller rockers, stock and rebuilt 19lb injectors, stock throttle body, stock MAF. I did notice that a bit of torque was lost a bit but not much, car runs so much better it does not feel chocked up anymore engine actually feels running so much free now. In about 2 weeks I'm going to be taking back to dyno to see if any additional adjustments needed because of changing stock intake to now cobra intake.
I have been also thinking about changing MAF and installing to a 65mm throttle body with 24lb injectors as well. But my opinion tells me to not buy it won't increase HP much anymore, so as of now just need to find a good reputable differential shop to rebuild diff and I'm going to enjoy this car now.
Now awaiting for yearly Az smog inspection to get my blood pressure to rise!
This is my daily driver and have no plans to get collector car insurance; they only allow 3K miles a year. So in a few weeks I hope to get better dyno numbers than I got in past.

• Sponsors (?)

I would upgrade the MAF and upgrade the throttlebody to a 65mm and have it dyno tuned then. The 24lb injectors are not needed at your power level but the larger maf and matching throttlebody to intake opening should help

I would upgrade the MAF and upgrade the throttlebody to a 65mm and have it dyno tuned then. The 24lb injectors are not needed at your power level but the larger maf and matching throttlebody to intake opening should help

I agree. The stock MAF is 55mm and is definitely costing you power.

With the heads and intake, I am betting you may net a little more power upgrading the injectors and MAF. I wouldnt worry about the TB right away, but if you are going to the dyno anyway, I would try to make the most of it if you have the $ to grab the parts. Thats just my opinion.

You seriously think spending $200+ on a MAF is good money being spent?
I don’t know much but I don’t see spending $200+ on MAF going to help much. But again I don’t know much on these cars! And is buying bigger MAF going to affect emissions?
Your opinions always welcome

My personal opinion, based on old threads and other people's builds is that you will be more likely to gain power by going with a bigger MAF and injectors, than just upgrading the TB. Until you go forced induction (supercharger/turbo) or stroker, the TB doesnt hold you back much. A small MAF with maxed out injectors will hold you back more. Now your injectors may not be maxed yet, being you still have a stock cam, but if you are buying a bigger aftermarket MAF, it seems silly to me not to upgrade the injectors when the MAF and injectors need calibrated together. At the very least, get an SN95 MAF. That is still calibrated for 19 lb injectors, and is bigger than a factory fox MAF.

My personal opinion, based on old threads and other people's builds is that you will be more likely to gain power by going with a bigger MAF and injectors, than just upgrading the TB. Until you go forced induction (supercharger/turbo) or stroker, the TB doesnt hold you back much. A small MAF with maxed out injectors will hold you back more. Now your injectors may not be maxed yet, being you still have a stock cam, but if you are buying a bigger aftermarket MAF, it seems silly to me not to upgrade the injectors when the MAF and injectors need calibrated together. At the very least, get an SN95 MAF. That is still calibrated for 19 lb injectors, and is bigger than a factory fox MAF.
Thanks for your opinion, but need to stay emissions compliant. This is my daily driver I have a new car but I love driving this car too much fun! I could go to collector car or historic car here in Az but collector car insurance only allows me to drive 1K miles a year not happening. Turbo or supercharger never going to happen on this car but what I am trying to accomplish is 250 rear wheel horsepower naturally aspirated and need experiences or knowledge how to get there; minus changing cam or anything that can alter emission standards here in AZ.
But thinking about 77MM MAF but don't think that is smart money being spent especially if I only get 1/2 horsepower out of it.
Keep opinions coming and experiences you have been thru as well!

I'd buy a 75MM SN95 maf and adapter for $50 instead. Same MAF transfer function as the 55 MM stock unit. You get the benefit of the larger MAF, still keep emmissions compliance, and don't affect ECU tuning.

You could do the same for the TB. Snag a cheap explorer 65MM TB from a boneyard and convert it to work on the Fox.

If you search around and are patient, you can probably get both of that done for under $100, especially if you find them in a boneyard. I think I found both for $40 total, and $20 or so for a MAF adapter on ebay. I'd keep the 19's as well at that point unless you find at your dyno session they aren't able to provide the fuel you need at WOT.

What did you dyno last with the edelbrock heads?

Thanks for your opinion, but need to stay emissions compliant. This is my daily driver I have a new car but I love driving this car too much fun! I could go to collector car or historic car here in Az but collector car insurance only allows me to drive 1K miles a year not happening. Turbo or supercharger never going to happen on this car but what I am trying to accomplish is 250 rear wheel horsepower naturally aspirated and need experiences or knowledge how to get there; minus changing cam or anything that can alter emission standards here in AZ.
But thinking about 77MM MAF but don't think that is smart money being spent especially if I only get 1/2 horsepower out of it.
Keep opinions coming and experiences you have been thru as well!

I think you misread my post. I was stating a bigger throttle body by itself will not do much of anything unless you already have a supercharger/turbocharger. Being that you dont, my opinion was that exactly of @Mustang5L5 , which was to get an SN95 MAF and keep your stock injectors.

If you are interested in an Explorer 65 MM throttle body converted for a Mustang, and 65 MM EGR spacer, I have them and will unload them for cheap. Just PM me if interested.

I think you misread my post. I was stating a bigger throttle body by itself will not do much of anything unless you already have a supercharger/turbocharger. Being that you dont, my opinion was that exactly of @Mustang5L5 , which was to get an SN95 MAF and keep your stock injectors.

If you are interested in an Explorer 65 MM throttle body converted for a Mustang, and 65 MM EGR spacer, I have them and will unload them for cheap. Just PM me if interested.
I have an explorer throttle body I just didn't install or use because 65mm throttle body did not have tube provision on throttle body that connects hose pcv hose on valve cover

here are pics dyno sheet as well
fullsizeoutput_ea.jpeg
IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG

For what it is worth the '93 Cobras came with 70mm MAF, 65mm TB, and 24lbs injectors. The engineers at Ford would have not upgraded these items if they didn't think they were needed. Your heads flow better than the GT40 heads the Cobra had so they are definitely costing you. Probably in the 25-35 hp range.

For what it is worth the '93 Cobras came with 70mm MAF, 65mm TB, and 24lbs injectors. The engineers at Ford would have not upgraded these items if they didn't think they were needed. Your heads flow better than the GT40 heads the Cobra had so they are definitely costing you. Probably in the 25-35 hp range.
Dan02gt. Thanks for your response on MAF. I think i will buy a Pro M. You made a good point on your post and makes a ton of sense thks again everyone for replies.