Cobra intake to buy or not

spyder982

Dec 29, 2003
tx
I have a stock 86 gt 5spd and i am trying to decide to buy a cobra intake. i can get one shipped for 265 dollars just needs a little cleaning. would that really be worth it with my stock engine and e6 heads. i plan on swapping heads to a set of e7's or trick flow's later on down the line. also what size throttle body is required for the cobra intake? right now i have the stock 58mm i believe and i wanted to go ahead and upgrade to the 65mm but i heard somewhere the cobra intake only took 70mm throttle body's. thanks, bryan

• Sponsors (?)

its advertised a 20hp increase which isn't a lot but with heads due later on down the road and the large ability of the cobra lower to be ported at 265 shipped not a good deal?

spyder982 said:
its advertised a 20hp increase which isn't a lot but with heads due later on down the road and the large ability of the cobra lower to be ported at 265 shipped not a good deal?

It's a decent deal yes. But you asked with stock heads if it would be worth it. No it would not.

If you plan on heads/maybe cam later. Yes, go ahead and get it. It's a good intake. Of course I'm being biased. :D

if anyone is looking for a corba intake I have one for sale , this is the oem corba with out the ford racing logo on it ,, this intake was brand new when I bought the car a year ago ,, and I have only put 1000 miles on the car since I have owned it ,,, I am asking $250.+shipping ,,,, cobra intake 1000 miles ,,, e-mail me @ [email protected] oh and this intake still looks brand new ,,, does not need clean up !!!

southernstang97 said:
if anyone is looking for a corba intake I have one for sale , this is the oem corba with out the ford racing logo on it ,, this intake was brand new when I bought the car a year ago ,, and I have only put 1000 miles on the car since I have owned it ,,, I am asking $250.+shipping ,,,, cobra intake 1000 miles ,,, e-mail me @ [email protected] oh and this intake still looks brand new ,,, does not need clean up !!!

Classifieds.

I am happy with my Cobra intake. That is not to say I don't plan on stepping up to something better (AND more expensive) down the line when I build the bottom end and also get new heads.

For now, the Cobra intake does its job well and with the mods in my sig, I gained noticable power (dyno results PRE-intake install).

You won't see anything, you may even lose power. Those crappy e6 heads can't even flow good enough to warrant a set of aftermarket headers, let alone an intake. The best mod you can do to pick up a few horses is to slap an 87+ upper and throttle body, it'll go from 58mm to 60 mm. ALso, keep in mind, that there is a very good chance the e7's won't work on that engine without hitting the pistons. you've got a 50/50 chance. Not trying to discourage you. Not a lot can be done with those pistons, sadly.

my buddy had serious issues when rebuilding an original 86 longblock for a 66 falcon. Engine was all original, idea was to yank the factory e6 heads, slap on the e7's (engine pulled from my 86 parts car, and on a stand at that point) slap the e7's on, and drop it into the falcon.

Well, he quickly found out, what was promises from everyone that stock e7 heads would fit with no issues, he ran out of clearance, and hit, I believe on the exhaust valves. At that point, he wound up pulling the pistons and fly cutting them as you mentioned, and doing a complete rebuild in the process.

that's what i've heard. a lot of people have gotten it to work, but a lot of people haven't had any such luck. i'm in college as of the moment and looking for parts that i can swap on on the weekend and keep my daily driver still going. the other problem i have is balancing engine parts and interior parts. those window seals are expensive. thanks for the thoughts on the matter.

have you done gears and control arms yet? there is a ton you can still work with on that car to make it a bit faster, knowing those is 90% of the battle! The 86's imo are the best looking foxes built, I'll look past those heads and pistons for that!

i agree with v8only,86's were by far the best looking of any fox car built.i also liked the 93 cobra till i saw the t-bird knock off rims they put on them.get rid of those,awesome car.any how,here's my .02,if anyone cares,buy the intake wait till you want and can afford heads.dont waste your time with e7's.fox lake sells ported gt-40's for 800,get a junk yard motor out of an 87-92 mustang and rebuild it and have fun.and you're gonna spend the loot on tfs,spend alittle extra and get the afr 165's.you will not be disappointed.

I don't know about an 86 w/e6's, but a lot of people told me when I put my gt-40 on w/stock e7's that I wouldn't gain any hp, but there was a huge sotp gain. I dyno'd 245rwhp 292rwtq w/the gt-40, and full exh (shorties, off road, flows,) cai, I don't think I would have dyno'd that stock, and seen multiple mags dyno intakes on stock cars (e7's though, 5.0 mag, where they were compairing a vortech vs h/c/i combo, dyno'd individually , don't know issue or month though) where they gained around 10hp to wheels.

I would go ahead and go for it :nice: , especially if you're gonna upgrade the heads later.