comp cams installed question.

gottabfordtough

Mar 26, 2004
indiana
i just finished installing my comp cams. 102500. the car runs great, no stalling problems, didn't notice any huge difference but does seem to rev faster. question is the cams are really loud though. they quite down at about 1000 rpm but at idle they seem to chatter. almost sounds like my car is knocking but i know it isn't. iv heard other people say the compcams are loud. is this normal??

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on your definition of loud. If you've ever noticed the clicking noise that your injectors make, my cams sound like an extra set of injectors. Just a muffled tick here and there.

If yours are much louder, you may want to be concerned. Did you measure the base circles of the cams before you installed them? Mine were all within spec and still make a little noise. Comp had a problem earlier in the year with a bad batch of cam blanks that had smaller base circles and caused many people headaches.

If you're not already on there, check out http://www.modulardepot.com and ask around there. It seems like 75% of the people there are cammed, whereas you're more like a 1%-er on Stangnet if you're cammed. You'll find many more informative answers on that board.

almost every tuesday. and the last friday. what do you drive mabey i've seen ya? ive also heard of it being lifters. i guess they have lash adjusters. that may be the first try. ive got the only 04 orange stang out there (that ive seen) my best was last friday i ran a 13.64 my mods are in my sig. i just got the cams in yesterday im hoping for a 13.5 or better with the cams. what are you running and how fast??

gottabfordtough said:
almost every tuesday. and the last friday. what do you drive mabey i've seen ya? ive also heard of it being lifters. i guess they have lash adjusters. that may be the first try. ive got the only 04 orange stang out there (that ive seen) my best was last friday i ran a 13.64 my mods are in my sig. i just got the cams in yesterday im hoping for a 13.5 or better with the cams. what are you running and how fast??

attachment.php

I'm barely in the 13's :rolleyes: I've got some driver-related issues. I used to get the car to hook OK on the 18's last year. Now with the increased power from the cams, headers, plenum, etc. I haven't found a happy medium launching the car. It either bogs or annihilates the tires. I picked up some 15" V6 wheels for drag radials and I'm hoping that will solve the problem when I get the money for the tires.

I was down there at the last Midnight Madness, but I got parked after my 2nd run due to the lack of a helmet. My best was a 13.80@104 with a 2.3 60ft. I didn't realize you could use a helmet with a Snell M95 rating or I would have brought my motorcycle helmet :bang:

et streets will help for sure back when i didn't have my gears i was running 13.9's i put on slicks and ran a 13.54, almost half a sec. but i havnt ran the slick after the gears. the 13.6 was on street tires, im sure to be in low 13's with slicks. but i like to keep mine how i drove it there. so when people ask i dont' wana be the one to say well with slicks and timing at 15 and open exhaust it'll run this. my 13.6 is just they way i drive it everyday to work. are you the one i talked to about the cams a while back. are you going tuesday.