Compression Test / Remote starter question

five_o_stang

Jan 8, 2004
Georgia
Ok..i'm trying hook up this remote starter for the compression test..but the drawing on the instructions and the relay picture don't match. It says connect the remote to the part on the relay the part that the battery connects to...and another part that is NOT the starter relay wire..

Ok..i see where the battery cable connects.which has a little two part extension on it....and then there is an identical sized connection w/ a fairly large sized wire that I assume is my starter relay wire....and above both of those is one little wire that connects on a little bolt (the connection is in a boot)...

I don' thave my 5.0 manuals with me so i'm doing this on the fly...ok..so what is the OTHER connection I attach my remote too....(i'm supposed to remove all of the wires from this "second" connection before attempting to use the remote starter....

Any body have a clue what I"m talking about...lemme know.

• Sponsors (?)

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR you can run yourself over with that thing. Hook one to the battery, and the other to the small post you described. This will engage the starter. I dont know why you would have to remove the other wires.

It would really be safer to get in the car and start it every time. Make sure the engine is hot and the throttle is wired open. Dissconnect and ground the coil wire also, the big one.

You want to be able to get 12V+ to the little threaded connection on the fender-well switch - the one with the booted connection (small wire). Pull that boot off. The remote switch should just connect to the 12V+ terminal on the battery and to terminal on the switch described above. Pull off the coil wire so the engine doesn't start. Put the car in neutral. Screw in your compression tester to whatever cylinder you're testing. When you hit the switch, it should complete the circuit allowing 12V+ to go to the little terminal on the fenderwell switch. And when that happens, the engine should turn over. Pulling all the plugs will make it much easier on the starter. Be sure to wedge the throttle wide open. Even with the plugs out, pull the coil wire out - minimizes the chance that plug wire will arc to anything.