Converter, trans cooler, and shift kit are done!!!

ViperBlue GT

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
Just got my car back from the shop. Had the tranny rebuilt with a Level 10 rebuild kit, some Art Carr goodies, a PI Stallion 3200 converter, Transgo shift kit, and Tranny Cooler. :nice: :nice:

My question to you automatic guys is:

Is there a better way or good way to drive with a converter in? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not real sure what the question is since you can't drive much different. The rpms will rise quicker and higher before you get rolling but you don't have a radical stall so it shouldn't be to much. I take off slower than usuall so the rpms aren't always flying but only because my exhaust is too loud. After a while you will get used to the difference and the lowend softness under light throttle will hardly be noticeable. With your setup I wouldn't add any more gear like mentioned above or you might have to shift into 4th in the 1/4. :notnice:

Ok. I admit. My above post was a bit vivid so I'll give more explanation. With a higher stall speed converter, it takes a few more rpms to gain speed than it did with the stock converter. Im also talking about in town driving here too, not wide open throttle. The extra driving rpms are just something you have to get used to. Be glad you have 3.73 gears since they help you to see those extra rpms as opposed to the stock gears(2.72 or 3.03's, whichever they were in your case).

EDIT: Youre supercharged. Nevermind. :bang:

Ok I have some questions about this mod wich I already have $$$ put aside for

1) do you loose torque @ lets say 500 to 2000rpms? When does this mod start to "feel" better than stock from 1/4 throttle to WOT?

2) Everyone on here has said 2800 plus stall speed or don't even bother with changing converters. When I spoke with the people @ PI they said 2600 to
2800 with my current mods 3.73 gears, aluminum d/s, performance chip, spintech x-pipe with hiflo cats, and borla catback. either stall speed would make a "very noticable difference over stock" and would also be good for the near future mods I was planning on (KB 9psi kit.) I understand they are selling a
product so what's the scoop?

3) Is this primarily a drag racing mod because what I am trying to do is set up my car in a well rounded way drag,handeling,braking,daily driver.

THANKS

I have a buddy of mine with a '98 GT, I've been trying to tell him to work on his tranny (stall converter) and to also throw some gears in, I'm not too familiar with auto upgrades and there are some good questions in this thread......so I'll be subscribing.....

It doesn't look like any of the auto guru's are here today Reinhart,T&J, and many others but hopefully Mon. we will get some good info/answers. I don't like putting things on my car that don't fit my needs/wants. I have asked alot of questions on this subject in the past and gotten alot of good info but most of the technical info has come from people with a far greater understanding of the subject than I. Hopefully some of the questions were expressed better this time
and I can continue to get a better idea of this mod and how it may or may not
fit into my plans.

Stall speed is a function of torque. As your torque increases, so does the stall speed. The reason why your car feels more sluggish in the lower rpms with a high stall speed converter is because in theese lower rpms the torque converter isnt locking up and is still slipping. Afterall, thats its purpose. To slip and not lock up. Allowing for torque build up when launching. It will lock up though whenever youre at WOT allowing for maximum power transfer to the rear wheel. That is, if you have a lock-up torque converter(assuming thats what you have).

Dont expect to feel any SOTP power from a torque converter unless if you floor it. Thats when the power really kicks in. Before my PI Stallion 3000rpm torque converter, I could barely chrip the tires when flooring it from a dead stop. Now, I can spin my tires all the way through first, shift into second, and I'll spin through most of, if not all of second gear. :D

Anyhow, we all say no less than 2800rpms because the torque curves for most GT's is between 3-4k rpms. The closer your torque converter stall speed is to your peak torque curve, the better. Anything less than 2800rpms for a stall speed would be a waste. Trust us, the guys with experience. We know. Not to say Precision Industries doesnt know what they're talking about either but, they do more of whats called "book thinking" instead of "thinking by experience".

Dark Knight I am glad you weight in, so great for launch if you have traction obviously. Puts you in your power/rpm range quicker @ WOT = mostly a drag
mod??? If someone had high stall say 3000rmp or higher and a KB 9psi or higher
kit wouldn't it be almost impossible to get traction even with drag radials is that why some say twinn screw's are not good for drag racing?

So If I am trying to set up my car in a way to keep throttle response @ 1/4 all the way through WOT this is not my mod but if I wanted improve 1/2 throttle to WOT this is a no brainer. I think it's starting to sink into my thick skull????

dew22 said:
Dark Knight I am glad you weight in, so great for launch if you have traction obviously. Puts you in your power/rpm range quicker @ WOT = mostly a drag
mod??? If someone had high stall say 3000rmp or higher and a KB 9psi or higher
kit wouldn't it be almost impossible to get traction even with drag radials is that why some say twinn screw's are not good for drag racing?

So If I am trying to set up my car in a way to keep throttle response @ 1/4 all the way through WOT this is not my mod but if I wanted improve 1/2 throttle to WOT this is a no brainer. I think it's starting to sink into my thick skull????

WOT = Wide open throttle.

If youre running a twin screw supercharger with a 3k+rpm stall converter, you probably need to be running slicks, not drag radials. Possibly a taller tire than a 26in tall tire too. However, you always want to run the shortest tire you possibly can.

I personally think a torque converter is a good idea for ANY automatic car. Yes, the torque converter at lower portion throttles will slow you down. So, if youre looking for great partial throttle response, then dont do the converter. If you want wide open throttle power(which most racers look for), then go with a torque converter.

If youre putting a twin screw supercharger on your car(or you already have one), you have 3.73 gears, and youre debating on a torque converter, no need to debate. Get it. You're going to be producing great low end torque with a twin screw supercharger and 3.73 gears will help to get you up in your power band quicker so chances are, you wont notice the slugishness in lower rpms of the torque converter compared to someone with a n/a car.