Convertible Top Problem

Barbara811

Jun 17, 2009
I am the proud owner of a 2006 Ford Mustang Convertable. I have been having problems getting the top to latch lately so I took it in today. They told me that the mechanism is fine and that the problem is that the material has shrunk. Then they said that it is not covered under my extended warranty (the car has 40,000 miles) because it is trim. I was floored when they said $1800 to put a new top on it. Has anyone ever heard of this??

• Sponsors (?)

Convertible Top Woes

Hey Barbara,

I am sorry to hear about your convertible top issues. I am facing issues right now with my wife's 06 vert. I can tell you that it is very unlikely that, even with a nasty attitude, you will get Ford to cover that top under your extended warranty. Also, I would not have Ford put a new top on it. Take it to a local upholstry shop and see if there is anything they can do to adjust it. If not, I can tell you that a removal and replace runs about $2200 from the shop that I am using (they aren't the cheapest but they are the best). The top that I am putting back on my wife's car (cloth like the GT/CS's) has a lifetime warranty and if there is an issue (evidently the back windows like to come out of these cars because of the "floating" window design...my shop has three of them right now), the top and labor is covered. Good luck with your car. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to have issues. My wife's car has been in the shop for 2 weeks now and ETA for return is next Tuesday. Please let us know what avenue you chose to take.