Convertible top problems, need help with troubleshooting/new install.

Henceforward

The Avatar Master
Founding Member
Jul 17, 2001
I am troubleshooting why the power top motor will not work...

I bought two new relays, and they both click so I think I am getting power to the relays. :shrug:

I checked the power wires Yellow/Red coming from the relays however, and the test light does not come on.

I then created a circuit with a 18v drill battery through the Yellow/Red wires coming from the convertible motor, the light came on. Does this mean the motor is good, or is there a better method for checking the motor.

Lastly, if I can figure out why the motor is not working, how do I install a new power motor? Especially since there are hydraulic fittings on the motor. Do you have to bleed the hydraulic fluid?

I am trying to get a new top installed, but without the motor, that can't happen.

I should have bought a notch... :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Henceforward said:
I should have bought a notch...
I'll trade.

I'm not sure of your test method for 12V. I would use a DVM. Costs just a few bucks from Radio Shack or wherever for a cheapie.

Pull the plug on the side of the motor and make sure there is ATF in there. It should fill to the bottom of the threads (like you would fill a rear end). It could be that the fluid is so low that the motor is not working.

If this is not the case and you do have 12V to the motor, then replace it. A used one can be had from LOTS of places for not much money. When you do replace it you will have to bleed the lines/cylinders. Do this by bringing the fluid to the bottom of the threads then running the top up/down 6 times. Check the fluid again and repeat as necessary.

The top motor on my vert stopped working, so I took it out, took it apart and noticed the brushes were stuck. When I disconnected the Hyd. lines just a small amount of fluid came out. There are two bolts that hold the pump half to the motor half. I scribed a small line so I knew how to put the two halves back together in the same spot. Once I had the brushes out i just lightly sanded them smooth, put it back together and the motor was working again. You could try this, I had the same click from the relay but the motor wouldnt turn be cause of the stuck brushes. Hope this helps.

Sean

I took the motor out, real easy.
645622motor.jpg

Unscrewed the cap on the motor.
526707apart.jpg

One side looked good.
435914ok.jpg

The other didn't look good at all.
289162none.jpg

The brush was worn so low that the copper wire that it was crimped to didn't have anything to hold onto.

Here is a picture of the brushless wire.
286487broke2.jpg

Whats left of the broken brush...
575641brush-2.jpg

The other brush was fine.
255900brush-good.jpg

I guess I need a new motor. :nonono:

CJponyparts sells one for $219.95, I will order that tomorrow, 10% off on online Friday orders.

Plus new weather strip, a power 1/4 window motor, new Convertible top cable set, that will put me over $300 for free shipping... :banana:

Henceforward said:
I guess I need a new motor.
No. Go get a brush at Autozone for about 3-4 dollars. I believe it solders on. Unfortunately, you can't just have some bench weanie look it up on a computer. For my power window motor, a guy there brought out a box that had several brushes in it. I found some that were close with the copper braid on it and used some sandpaper to cut it down to size.

Or, if you want to save some money, send it to me and I will fix it for $50 and you pay shipping both ways.

If you can find a used one that would be a lot cheaper than a new one. From 65 to 93 is the same motor. When my top went out I pulled the spare motor for my 65 out and put it in and works great now.

I bought 2 new brushes at Oreillys for $2.00, I sanded them down just a tad with the sander, and slid them in the plastic guides. I soldered them into place, and hoped for the best.

050086new_brushes.jpg

I hooked it up, grounded it, fliped the switch, and the relays clicked... The motor will not turn. I don't know what else to do. :nonono:

Could the motor burn out?