convertibles owners read.............

• Sponsors (?)

start by pulling out your gut take out that heavy a@# padding uner the carpet pull all the insulation from behind all the panels same in the trunk.maybe rear seat delete?set of aluminum heads and drive shaft.how crazy ya want to go?pull the spare tire and jack out?

Spare, jack, 25lb passenger vert weight, 10lb dog bone weight, aluminum driveshaft, alum. heads, alum pulleys, remove the strut tower brace, pull the pass seat, pull the rear seats, pull the rear trunk carpet and plastic, remove the floor mats, run with 1/4 tank or less of fuel, lightweight drag wheels, etc... how crazy do you want to get? What I listed here will drop 200lbs.

Well these guys pretty much summed it up, lightweight suspension will also help, i.e. tubular k-member etc.. Also, the sound deadening material under the rear carpet is supposed to weigh 80 lbs. or better!! That's a good chunk of weight if you don't mind living with an obnoxiously loud car. :rolleyes:

Killercanary said:
Spare, jack, 25lb passenger vert weight, 10lb dog bone weight, aluminum driveshaft, alum. heads, alum pulleys, remove the strut tower brace, pull the pass seat, pull the rear seats, pull the rear trunk carpet and plastic, remove the floor mats, run with 1/4 tank or less of fuel, lightweight drag wheels, etc... how crazy do you want to get? What I listed here will drop 200lbs.

That is a little crazy. What is a 10lb dog bone weight? And how much weight would you save with the rear seat delete?

greenlantern said:
That is a little crazy. What is a 10lb dog bone weight? And how much weight would you save with the rear seat delete?

Dog bone weight is the bone looking weight on the rear differential, it is pretty useless once you swap rear gears. As for a rear seat delete, it is only worht about 13lbs in a vert, but its near 30lbs in a coupe.

The big weight on the pass. side is right behind the foglight and it is the 25 lb weight. It is a black looking cyliner. Ford referred to it as a vibration dampener? ... remove it!! I think its only like 4-8 bolts. The dogbone is a 10 lb weight on your differential, shaped like a dogbone.

Weight loss
fog lights and brackets (cracked and broken so I yanked them)
Off road H pipe (bigtime reduction)
trunk carpeting
Aluminium underdrive pullies
smog
Hood blanket
Strut tower brace (BBk chrome) 12
Aluminium driveshaft 5
Aluminium heads 50
plastic squares behind rear wheels 3
Dog bone on differential 8.5
convertible 25lb weight 25
Passenger cloth seat (track only) 39.5
Spare tire, jack, lug wrench (track only) 27.5
Steeda front floor mats (track only) 3

WEIGHT ADDED
MM subframe connectors ~12-15
MM panhard bar ~20ish
HPM driveshaft loop ~10
chrome cobra r knockoffs w/ tires 54lbs each

Total at this point with 1/4 tank of gas 3300 lbs w/o me (certified scale)

I've not not done these yet but will next season:

Front sway bar (track only) 12
Convertible X brace (track only) 17
front skinnies (track only) 50 ish

3221.5 by next year, hopefully less if the tubular K member purchase goes through.

Roll bar was an easy 40-50lbs, and I do have full leather/power/lumbar seats. I bought a V6 cloth seat for track duty for next to nothing, but it only saved I think 10-15lbs. I have it written down and will look it up later to tell you for sure. The body kit was 45lbs according to stangfreak (I think that is who weighed it when he took it off). My Global West LCA's and full length subframes definetly added a good bit of weight too. They were heavy as hell!

CManT1914 said:
Well these guys pretty much summed it up, lightweight suspension will also help, i.e. tubular k-member etc.. Also, the sound deadening material under the rear carpet is supposed to weigh 80 lbs. or better!! That's a good chunk of weight if you don't mind living with an obnoxiously loud car. :rolleyes:

how do i get rid of the sound deadening material in the back?

blackstanger95 said:
How do you lose weight from this heavy pigs? Im trying to lose at least 200 lbs. Is it possible?
I have prety much everything mentioned above done. ALso front and rear bumpers and all associated hardware stripped also. All factory ties removed and chromoly ties welded into floor boards.I do have certified chromoly 8pt cage and when put on chassis scales it weighted in at 2980 with 1/2 tank of gas..I replaced factory carpet with 50 resto carpet and all padding removed. You can see in my garage..