Coolant in engine

87GT2002

Jun 26, 2009
Alright I got and 87 Mustang Gt Project with new long block with 35,000 miles on it checked it on carfax,

I Have had the car for like two weeks now driving it around my neighborhood and such up the road , not going far since its not tagged. Anyways you Know I got on it a couple times trying to get it up to par fixing **** on it and so on. Well They guy I got it from decided not to follow the torque specs on the lower intake manifold and the last two bolts were a little loose on my intake manifold causing my gasket on the rear side to Blow out well I ran it for like a min to get it back to my house then I shut it off.

Coolant had got into my engine but the gauge only got up to like 220 230 ish
I dropped the oil pan cleaned everything out took my intake manifold and everything else out and cleaned everything nicely. I got all new fel-pro gaskets and such took my time with it following the chiltons manual with All the torgue sequence and specs putting it back together All new plugs and wires and a cap too. Just because it needed it anyways.

Got it all back together found top dead center made sure all my wires were correct and so forth.

Started it up for the first time spudered and ran like absolute **** had full pressure gauge on in reading like almost 40 psi. I then shut here down
I'm pissed at this point cause it took me like three days to take it all off and put it back together right. I pulled the plugs and they were all dry except Three and fourth cylinder they had a little oil on them no coolant though so they were fouled out I beleive.

I bought a compression tester and pulled all my plugs and started on the two that were giving me the problem. Cranked it over like six strokes. they both got up to almost 150. But is the gauge supposed to drop before you clear it or is the needle supposed to stay? They say if its two adjacent cylinders its a head gasket but there is not coolant on my plugs just a little oil. Do you thing I have bad rings or exshaust valve and compression is leaking cause there was a little blue smoke.I never did the oil test in the cylinder trick:notnice:

If anyone can help or respond to this long ass message it would be greatfull before I murder this car and tear the engine out.

Chris Jones

• Sponsors (?)

could be the valve seals, and i wouldnt be so quick to blame the previous owner for not torqing the intake right, ive had the lower intake bolts loosen up even after torqing them, you have to do it a couple times after you have a few heat cycles in the motor.

Yeah I replaced the fouled plugs then they fouled up again real quick.
Theres no coolant just oil and a little fuel.

So I mise well take the motor out if I have to replace valve seals???

Yeah I replaced the fouled plugs then they fouled up again real quick.
Theres no coolant just oil and a little fuel.

So I mise well take the motor out if I have to replace valve seals???

the motor dosent have to come out, but the heads have to be removed, you should also do a compression test, to see if the rings are sealing correctly. that could also cause oil consumption

RE

So do a compression test after the heads are off. I did on with the heads on but I never put a little oil in the cylinder test to see if the compression held or rose up any at all.

How do you do a compression test with the heads off :scratch:

Do a compression test and then put the oil in the cylinders and see if you have any changes, if you have a pretty good increase after squirting the oil in I would begin suspecting the rings