Coolant Leak...

cperezsvp

Feb 1, 2010
Tinker AFB
I have a coolant leak near the distributor, opposite from the thermostat. I don't know what could leak coolant from there. Maybe a gasket??? Need a little help.

Attachments

• coolant leak!!!.jpg
    coolant leak!!!.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Sponsors (?)

Usually a leak in that area comes from the lower intake. The seal may be failing as there is a crossover to both heads right in the front. You'll have to remove and reset the lower intake to fix that.

Correct. You'd have to pull the lower up, and then install a new gasket kit and reset the lower.

I'd confirm this is the leak though by cleaning the area up best you can with rags and carb cleaner and then going for a ride to see if the leak is coming from the lower to where it seals with the head.

before you do that, make sure it isnt the tstat leaking and pooling in the top of the timing cover. it can seem like its coming from the opposite side. any chance of getting a better pic of the leak?

i know these will fit my mustang, but are these the only gaskets i need to do this? is there no gasket from the block to the lower intake manifold?

Just a suggestion, don't use those two little pieces. I would use a think bunch of RTV silicone but I know about half the people on here will disagree. I got this advice from one of the most successful 'stang only shops in the PNW and have given it multiple times with no one having leaks after, however, a couple people I know who used those pieces had leaks afterward. Just wanted to throw that out there, your choice.

sorry couln't get pics this morning but looks like its pooling up and didn't look like the intake manifold :( looked more like the water pump gasket. Looks like the coolant is pooling up and coming from there, any thoughts on this?

Just a suggestion, don't use those two little pieces. I would use a think bunch of RTV silicone but I know about half the people on here will disagree. I got this advice from one of the most successful 'stang only shops in the PNW and have given it multiple times with no one having leaks after, however, a couple people I know who used those pieces had leaks afterward. Just wanted to throw that out there, your choice.

I use the peices. I know a lot of people say to ditch them and use RTV, but i don't like doing it that way. It's too large of a GAP IMHO to use RTV only, so i use the cork gaskets with RTV on both sides and big balls at the corners. Done dozens of intakes this way, never had an issue. My cobra intake has been on for 9 years like this with no probs.

I think installation technique plays a role though. Do not just set the intake down and then try to wiggle it around and line up the bolt holes. Instead, get two bolts of the same size but longer and cut the heads off. Put one in each corner finger tight and use the studs to guide the intake down. Then thread in the remaining bolts, remove the studs and torque away.

Easy as hell to do with studs

The Water Pump??

Kinda hard for the WP to leak up and pool in that area next to the distributor. WP's tend to leak on the ground just because their location.

I think we kinda need pics here to be 100% sure