Coolant Temp Sensor Wiring Question

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Hey guys, so I have an extra Coolant Temp Sensor and am wondering if I can use it as just a temp sensor for my fan controller, there is two wires, but a normal temp sensor like for the gauge just has the one wire, if I solder onto one of the pins of the coolant temp sensor, could it be used the same as a temp sensor? Is one just a ground? Thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

There is a way to to use the ECT as a sensor to operate an electric fan. However if you don't have a at least two year degree in electronics, it would not be practical to attempt it.

If you are an experienced electronics tech or electrical engineer, email me and I will send you the prototype drawings of a fan controller that is probably as good as the DC Control unit. It is a build it, troubleshoot it yourself item. I will not build or troubleshoot units, so it is not suitable for anyone who isn't really good with electronics.

I have sent the docment package out 4 or 5 times and none of the people I sent it to have ever replied back that they tried to build it after examining the documentation.

Hey, I was more curious than anything, I went to George Brown College and took the Electromechanical Technician Certificate Program as well as the Electronics Technician Program, but if it's a pain it's been awhile! I have a spal controller unit, so was kinda just curious if the ect sensor would work. If you have anything that regarding the ECT sensor, or Spal Controller I could look into it. Thanks

Hey, I was more curious than anything, I went to George Brown College and took the Electromechanical Technician Certificate Program as well as the Electronics Technician Program, but if it's a pain it's been awhile! I have a spal controller unit, so was kinda just curious if the ect sensor would work. If you have anything that regarding the ECT sensor, or Spal Controller I could look into it. Thanks

If you want to be added to the list of those who "tried and died", send me your email address and I will send you the diagram and parts list. This is not a project for the novice and will require some serious skill at assembling & troubleshooting electronic components.