Coolent Temperature?

I have a Griffen radiator in my 91 mustang which does such a good job of cooling down my coolant that it never goes above 165 degrees no matter how hard I push the car or for how long. The one thing that concerns me though is that when I am stuck in traffic or moving under about 5 mph, I can see the temp guage rise. After about 45 seconds it approaches close to 200 degrees. I havnt had the car too long so I havnt seen it go much higher then that, but this somewhat concerns me. Once I get moving again, the temperature quickly drop down to 165 degrees again. Am I concerned for no reason or is something wrong here?

• Sponsors (?)

That's how a cooling system works. When the car is moving it will stay cool b/c air is moving by the radiator. When the car is not moving it will keep heating up until the fan comes on. That is why cars have fans. If they didnt then they would heat up until the coolant boiled over.

i think they are good til around 230 before you need to worry. i get uptight anytime i breach 210 (when its 110 ambient temps). how long does it take to get up that high? and is it hot where you live? just strange since everyone is having heat issues this time of year.
and welcome to here. great site.