Cooling Problem... Replacing Coolang Temp Sensor... Where is it???

Okay, I recently started having an overheating issue with my 97. The engine was just rebuilt and a new thermostat was put in at that time. Over 4000 miles was put on the car without any problems. I ran the car really hard one day, and since then I started having this problem. In traffic and 90+ degree heat, the car shoots all the way up to the "L" of the "Normal" heat gage. It has never went above the r before. At highway speeds, the car is fine. There aren't any broken lines and the fan does run with the AC on. However, when the AC is off the fan just shuts off and doesn't come on even with the temperature almost maxed out. So, I thought it was the Coolant Temperature Sensor and have purchased a new one. I now want to replace but can't seem to locate it very easily. Where is it on the engine? Is it on the motor or the radiator? Even with the fan running while the AC is on the car still overheats. Does the temperature sensor kick the fan to a higher speed keeping it cooler? Do you think there is another problem? Any help is greatly appreciated with these super hot summer days. Thanks in advance!!!:)

• Sponsors (?)