Cost of fuel pump

emitchell62000

Dec 14, 2003
Hi--I have a 96 V6 3.8L Mustang, and it's making a high-pitched whine that I'm told means that the gas tank fuel pump either needs to be replaced or has become dislodged. Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay a mechanic to have it replaced (parts and labor)?

Many thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Labor costs are betwen $70 and $80 per hour. I would say that the labor for something like that is about 3 hours. So you're looking at $210-$240 for labor plus another $120-$130 for the part. That's a total of $330-$370 plus taxes. I would say the total cost with parts, labor and taxes will be $347-$389. But it could be more if the labor is going to be 4 hours instead of 3 hours. It might even run you OVER $422-$475 easy if that's the case.

GREENBIOCH said:
I would think labour for a p[rofessional to change a fuel pump should be no more than 2 hours MAX.

this is true but a shop doesnt charge you by how much time a mechanic takes to do the work. a shop charges you by how much time the repair manual tells them it should take them. its also known as book time. so say your car needs a new fuel pump. a shop goes to alldata.com and looks up how to do it and what the part number is. AllData tells them a fuel pump is going to take 3 hours. the shop has an experienced mechanic who can do this thing in an hour tops. the shop will charge the book time of 3 hours make the money and move on to another car to make more money. thats the way it is, i have a friend who is a mechanic and he says thats how almost all shops do it. (thats why i have him do repairs for me in his garage)

I beleive it, I'm not a mechanic and I know with the right tools I could do it in under an hour. That is why I do my own work if I can, I can't justify paying such outrageous costs. They basically take you and bend you over the barrel. :nonono: