Couple of drivetrain questions

Five04sho

Apr 3, 2007
I bought a 91 lx that used to be a 4cyl. The previous owner pulled the 2.3 and threw a 5.0 in it from an 89. However, he used the old 4cyl. tranny and its acting up. Long story short I bought a t-5 and t-5 bellhousing that I plan on putting in next weekend. My question is 1) Will the 4cylinder driveshaft work? Or is it too long/short? and secondly, is it true that I may have to do some cutting to get the new bellhousing to fit? Or is it the same as the 4cyl one? Thanks for any help you can give me. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

You already have the right bellhousing. The 4-banger one won't bolt up to a 5.0 so there is a 5.0 bell housing in there now. They just bolted the 4banger t5 up to it. All you gotta do is drop the tranny and swap them

Yah, the bellhousing has to come out because Im also changing the flywheel out. That was my main problem with the car. The teeth on the flywheel are chewed up. So I guess I have another question for you guys. Autozone has the cheapest price on a flywheel of 59.99 and its a stock replacement. Do I need anything else besides just the flywheel? Because when searching for a new one I looked online and some sites are selling a flywheel kit that includes dowl pins, bolts and some tool to line things up...do I need all that stuff to do this? Or can I just use the parts from my old one?

Well, I would purchase new flywheel bolts from ford. A lot of guys don't but I would.

The alignment tool is for lining un the clutch disk when you bolt the pressure plate on. If you don't have a tool, you need one. But they sell this tool separate. Youncan tap your old dowel pins out of the original flywheel and reuse them. The clutch bolts can also be reused from your old setup.

Btw, brand new ford oem flywheel is $98 from summit.

Ok, thank you so much for your help. And one final question...the starter that is on the 4cyl tranny right now has a spacer on it...do i need to re-install that spacer when I put the 5.0 t5 in?