Couple questions and another update.

Dbeck002

Apr 30, 2005
South florida
Update: Cam and dowel pin are in. I removed the cam to lightly tap the dowel pin in with a mallet that was wrapped in towels. The bottom of the cam was sitting in a towel as well. I loaded it with assembly lube and slowly made it back into the block. Then I put the cam backing plate thing (small round plate with 2 bolts that holds the cam in the block) back in and tightened it down hand tight. I am now in the midst of scraping more gasket material from the block where the timing cover used to be. Making sure also that any residue is kept from finding its way into a crevice, I am using cardboard and tape to keep residue from going anywhere important.
I am also pressing in the front main seal as we speak, i have a large C clamp with 2 thick metal plates on both sides and am slowly torquing down the C clamp to press fit the seal in. Should I use RTV anywhere during this press in procedure?

Next I want to install my timing chain, am I ready to do so as per my above progress? I see nothing missing, if you do please point it out because the timing chain is going on and re-assembly will begin.

Lastly, I cleaned every surface of the block and when I was done and ready to hit the hay I wiped the bores up with some 10W40 to keep them protected.

I am also ready to lay down the headgaskets, and bolt on the new heads. I have thread sealer with teflon ready for the lower head bolts (ARP) and I know there is a torquing sequence.

At this point, what should I be doing and have I missed anything? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)