Suspension Creeking And Squeaking

Cannon77550

Jan 7, 2018
Galveston, TX
Hey guys I need your advice. I just bought a 95 gt about a month ago... right away I noticed a little play in the steering wheel.... Not a big deal tho. Here in the last week or so though it has started making a very loud creeking and squeaky sound when turning and while going over bumps. I can't reproduce it by pushing down on fenders though. At first I thought ball joints but today I jacked it up and tried to check for play and there was none in any direction. So I pulled tires and took a look. Ball joint boots are gone and they look dry. So I sprayed some lube on them thinking it would help atleast a bit... but it didn't. Kinda at a loss here and don't wanna just throw parts at it till it stops. What else can I do to try to narrow it down?

• Sponsors (?)

These cars are getting old. That one is over 20 years old and the boots are gone as you stated. Replace the ball joints, while you are there check the control arm bushings, tie rod ends, the rag joint on the steering shaft and any play in the steering rack

These cars are getting old. That one is over 20 years old and the boots are gone as you stated. Replace the ball joints, while you are there check the control arm bushings, tie rod ends, the rag joint on the steering shaft and any play in the steering rack
I got new ball joints today and gonna tackle that tomorrow morning if I can rent all the tools I need (ball joint separator, tie rod end separator, and ball joint press) ďo I havta remove the spring to be able to check the a arm bushings or will I still get some play with it in there?

Should not be any play, jack it up and try to move the control arm forward and back, use jack stands and block the wheels, that way you can get physical with it.
If your gonna keep the car you may as well change 'em out since your that far. Once and done.

Just got done with the ball joints... that solved the problem. A arm bushings were fine. The rod ends were fine... did feel at most 1/8" play in rack but other than that everything was fine. It's nice to drive without that obnoxious squeak now tho. thanks for the advice karthief

Reactions: 1 user