Cross pin retaining bolt

XxFaceYourFear

15 Year Member
Jun 9, 2007
When we were taking everything out yesterday for the gear install, I was trying to be carefull with the retaining bolt since I'd read that they like to break and become a PITA, so I was backing it out fairly content since it was coming out smooth, and then it happens. :eek:

Only it was just the head that sheared/snapped off at the begining, it was the shaft at the end and maybe a few threads attached to the shaft that seem to be stuck way in there, just keeping the pin in. :eek:

I know a lot of people use a reverse drill bit to back it out, but I'm paranoid that i'll strip the thread on the carrier since it's so deep in there; so how do I solve this? Is there another way I can get the axles out to get the carrier out? Cutting through the c-clips maybe? Also, where can I get another retaining bolt?

• Sponsors (?)

Ouch man! I feel your pain...

I don't think there's a way to get to the C slips to cut them if you wanted to.

I think the left hand drill bit is your only option for now. another person I was reading last night went to drill it out and it came right out for him! Maybe you'll get lucky too.

Ouch man! I feel your pain...

I don't think there's a way to get to the C slips to cut them if you wanted to.

I think the left hand drill bit is your only option for now. another person I was reading last night went to drill it out and it came right out for him! Maybe you'll get lucky too.

That was probably me. The bit didn't even get to one diameter of depth. It was an 1/8" left handed drill bit, and it got maybe 1/16" deep before the pin backed right out. I have my stock 28 spline Trac Loc with a rebuild kit that's maybe got 10k to 15k on it. If you have trouble, pm me and we may be able to work out something. Good luck! :nice:

Well I got it earlier today. We managed to get the driver side axle out by compressing the s-spring inside and exposing the c-clip, but the passenger side axle wouldn't give us the clearance we needed to pop the c-clip out.

After hours of fiddling with that, in the heat of frustration, I decided to drill it out, and wouldn't my luck have it that the drill bit breaks in there. :eek: Since none of my bits were making as much as a dent, I grabbed my die grinder and used a carbide bit to carve out the cross bolt itself at the end where the pin is. Once I chewed threw it some, I was able to notch the pin and send it flying with a screw driver.

I found the retaining bolt at Oreilly's in the self-help section, but where can I find a cross bolt locally? Or can this one be re-used? I'll post pics of the hole I made in it tomorrow, it's not too big.

Just go to a junk yard and get one from another Mustang. I'm pretty sure even 7.5's have the same cross pin. Maybe you can call around to some salvage yards and see if they might have a broken rearend core that you can get the pin out of.

Your local Ford dealer will have the pin for about $10 and the bolt for about $2. I always replace both when I do gears.

Do you have a part number for the pin? I ordered one from ford and when it came it was way too thin and they say it's the only one they have listed. I'm guessing this is for a 7.5 rear end.

Edit: I just went back and clicked on those links that WhiteCobra95 posted, haha. Could have saved some time had I done that the first time around.

It's starting to really amaze me on how stupid these Parts counter Techs are getting! Jeeze... I called and had some pretty hard things to find for my 5 speed swap and after a few minutes of searching, my dealer parts guy found it all! Maybe call another dealer and pick their brain a little. That pin was used in alot of applications so they have to still carry it.

Anytime anyone wants to deal with a broken tap or a HSS drill bit, a great tool I have found is a spring loaded center punch with sharpest point you can find. You can easily break High Speed Steel Drill bits or Tungsten taps into pieces with one of these. The force on the tip in that one specific area exceeds hundreds of pounds of force. I have saved myself many times with that thing. Glad you got your bolt out, but for anyone who maybe has accidentally broke a bit or tap in a future search of this thread or in another instance you maybe are dealing with, it is just a trick of the machining trade.......

Anytime anyone wants to deal with a broken tap or a HSS drill bit, a great tool I have found is a spring loaded center punch with sharpest point you can find. You can easily break High Speed Steel Drill bits or Tungsten taps into pieces with one of these. The force on the tip in that one specific area exceeds hundreds of pounds of force. I have saved myself many times with that thing. Glad you got your bolt out, but for anyone who maybe has accidentally broke a bit or tap in a future search of this thread or in another instance you maybe are dealing with, it is just a trick of the machining trade.......

Great advice!! Thanks!:nice: