Cutting MAC CAI

99GHOST

Nov 15, 2002
I know CAI's aren't worth any HP, but hear me out. My friend put one on his along with a new plenum and throttle body and his car sounds sooooo good. The sound of the induction is great. I don't have money for a supercharger before anyone says buy one.

Anyway I was wondering if you cut the 90 degree bend and put the filter there would this help the running rich problem and has anyone tried this. Will the induction sound still be there with this.

Please don't :flame: me I just think his car sounded sweet, and you can get a used CAI for $50 to $75 anyway. And it helps to clean up the engine bay.

Oh boy here it comes :rolleyes: :chair: :stick: :puke:

• Sponsors (?)

I did and I like it alot ........

No complaints idles much better ......

PS I also added a heat shield and a 10" air filter

newcai.jpg

Wikkdgt said:
I wouldn't cut it. I am going to just do the Darkwolf mod and rotate the MAF 90 degrees towards the passenger side fender. Supposedly that cures the running rich problem.

It might cure the running rich problem, but will it fix the restriction of the 90 degree angle? I keep reading how it actualy restricts the flow. I could be wrong :shrug:

My BBK CAI on my 1996 Mustang GT only helped! I don't think I am running
rich because of the 90 degree bend or on my car anyway.I can hear a sucking sound
when the engine is running it's kind of cool.Blev I did notice better throttle
response also. It took .2 off the 1/4 mile for my car. Probably because
of the less restriction and I also know the air doesn't have enough time to become
heat because the air flow is moving so,fast from the fenderwell to the engine that
it really doesn't have time to really heat up but, on some cars it can cause you to run rich sometimes.Also 99Ghost I don't know why they would flame you over your ?

Xanax said:
My BBK CAI on my 1996 Mustang GT only helped! I don't think I am running
rich because of the 90 degree bend or on my car anyway.I can hear a sucking sound
when the engine is running it's kind of cool.Blev I did notice better throttle
response also. It took .2 off the 1/4 mile for my car. Probably because
of the less restriction and I also know the air doesn't have enough time to become
heat because the air flow is moving so,fast from the fenderwell to the engine that
it really doesn't have time to really heat up but, on some cars it can cause you to run rich sometimes.Also 99Ghost I don't know why they would flame you over your ?

CAI's are so controversial and usually guys dog anybody that wants one.

I really appreciate all of the responses so far. You guys are :nice:

Sure Ghost your welcome I am just trying to help.What pulley's and timing
adjuster did you happen to get? Because the best U/D pulley's are any
non-piggyback and on 99+ GT's I wouldn't advance your timing more than
14-15 degree's because you may possibly get a check engine light or
a cylinder number missfire and alway's use 91+ octane gas if you run your
timing adjuster is advanced this high. Later Ghost!