Cutting rear bumper

GalaxieWarrior

Oct 11, 2006
EDITA.jpg

Rough little photochop of what I was wanting to do. Anyone had any success cutting this plastic. Don't really know what I should use to attempt this. :shrug:Sawzall, cutting wheel, metal sheers

Couple more pics of the car
SANY0528.jpg

SANY0516.jpg

Attachments

• EDITA.jpg
    EDITA.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 454
  • SANY0528.jpg
    SANY0528.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 149
  • SANY0516.jpg
    SANY0516.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Sponsors (?)

I've never cut painted pieces, but when I did my custom chin spoiler i had to cut some pieces (ABS plastic I believe) and used a sawzall for it. It took a steady hand and it still didn't come out as nice as I wanted but it would be hidden. I think you'd be hard pressed to find something that made a clean cut and was easy to use.

Take the parts off your car if you can.

Nice thread tags btw. lol

A hot-knife would probably be better. But if that's the look you're going for, then get a V6 rear (since I see you already have the black rockers). Before you go and cut up your bumper, put the word out. I'm sure you can find someone with a V6 willing to trade.

Hot knife? its not just a saying

I've been trying locally for over a month to trade. Leaving notes on windshield, posting ads, hitting up the dealers, chasing down v6s in traffic, pretty much everything. Found quite a few willing to trade but theirs are the wrong color. I went to the dealership last weekend and took a good look at the v6 bumper and while it would definitely look better than my GTs, it was huge. It is a GIANT blank space. So I decided rather than mess with a trade I'd just cut mine up.

Stang.jpg

PS its no sideskirts/rocker not the black ones and IDK why my louvers didn't show up in this pic

Attachments

• Stang.jpg
    Stang.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 112
Yeah, there's really such a thing. I used to heat up my hobby knife with a candle when I was a kid, so I could customize my car models. But they actually make some, like soldering irons. If you get one, you'll wanna make sure it's suitable for urethane.

I still don't foresee a good outcome with this.. But best of luck. Try placing a trade ad in the regional forum sections of several boards... someone has to be interested.

hot knife - Google Product Search

Yeah, there's really such a thing. I used to heat up my hobby knife with a candle when I was a kid, so I could customize my car models. But they actually make some, like soldering irons. If you get one, you'll wanna make sure it's suitable for urethane.

I still don't foresee a good outcome with this.. But best of luck. Try placing a trade ad in the regional forum sections of several boards... someone has to be interested.

hot knife - Google Product Search

It's pretty thick and you'll probably end up melting areas of it more than cutting. I even used a dremel and it melted some of the plastic with the cutting wheels. A very fine tooth handsaw might take forever but it may make the cleanest cut. Just tape the lines where you want to cut.

Cutting Bumper Cover

First of all, me likee no sideskirt look. :hail2:

I'm headed out into the freezing 41* WX to eyeball mine. Plus, you'll never know how many Amazon plastic trees you've saved by refusing to run a spoiler. :nice:

My experience: when I replaced my front bumper cover, I cut up the old one with a jigsaw in order to toss it (actually, I made handgun targets, but I digress). I couldn't believe how easily/ smoothly it cut. Biggest challenge would be to secure it to reduce vibration- a helper would be handy.

A Sawzall would be overkill. I think a jigsaw and maybe a die grinder & tin snips for touch-up would be all you need.

If I were doing it, I would use masking tape over & and about 3" on each side of my cut line. I would leave about 1/8" extra outside my cut line so I could finish it with a sanding block (this stuff is very easy to sand).

Corse it would be sweet to get a used one to operate on. Here's contact info for a nationwide salvage network: Repairable Wreck - Performance Mustang Parts and Accessories

Good luck! You're doing good work. :)

a small air saw or jig saw would be best. use the smallest blades you can, and be sure to tape the bumper, so the paint does not chip near the cut. as mentioned, you will need to find a new method to attach the bottom of the bumper to the car.

with that said, i offer an alternative. why not just paint the section instead of cut it? same look, cheaper and less hassle.