Cylinder Head Questions..

1BADLXCOUPE

Sep 24, 2005
florida
Which 302 Windsor Cylinder Head, WILL NOT accept Dome Pistons? Naturally, I know the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge do not, but are there any others? I'm Buying Heads this weekend, and I do not want to purchase anything and have piston/valve/CC, etc. issue's on my engine build.

I'm only Running a .540Lift Camshaft, so Piston/Valve clearance should'nt be a problem.

Thank you for your time.-
Korey

• Sponsors (?)

1. All windsor heads (including the TFS/TW's) accept dome pistons. You do need to match the correct domed pistons with the style of head you plan to use though.

2. Total valve lift has nothing to do with PtV clearance. You could have a .490" lift cam hit the piston and a .570" lift (to pick a number) cam clear w/out a problem. reason why you should always check. PtV is an overlap problem.

Answering your question is about the hardest thing to guess at in building an engine. After you have matched correct piston to cylinder head type as said by Joel5.0, you must ALWAYS check piston to valve clearance yourself.

I wasn't looking for a Be all or End all answer to my question. It was intended to be very open ended. Im just wondering If ANYONE has ever heard, or had problems with any other type of cylinder head other than (Trick Flow) due to this piston design. Im running Stock Forged Rods, New (Factory Spec) Steel Crank, Stud Girdle, etc. The rotating assembly has all stock lengths and geometry. The shortblock is already Built. If you would like to be more in depth, here is the Assembly.

4.032 Bore/3.00 Stroke, Standard 306.
Lunati Hyd. Roller.
.535/.544
224*-232* @ .050
112* LSA

Dart Iron Eagles
180cc
62cc combustion chambers
1.94 Int./1.60 Exh.

i was running .0200 domed keith blacks on top of eagle h-beams sitting under edelbrock rpm's with an e cam and 1.6's. had .003 gap @ TDC. it was tight but no contact.

*trying to keep this thread open ended*

Thank you Dresmnkaos. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I know PTVC is always an issue no matter what cylinder head, camshaft combination you intend to run. Im just looking for people to say in what heads they did run dome pistons in. I can always run a smaller camshaft, or bigger gaskets for alittle of nothing compared to the price im paying for cylinder heads.

IIRC the piston to valve clearance was like 3 thousandths, but that was 4 years ago when i built that motor so i may be a lil off.

Camshaft events determine PTV.
.03" is much better than .003" PTV.
At .003" of PTV, you would have been tap dancing the valve on the piston once the temperatures increased and a little rpm.

Yep, there is no way your engine would run for long with .003", or even .030".

How did you check your piston to valve clearance?

To the OP, that camshafts centerline of 108 causes the valve to hit peak lift (.535") while the piston is 2.168" down the bore.

Thank you Dresmnkaos. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I know PTVC is always an issue no matter what cylinder head, camshaft combination you intend to run. Im just looking for people to say in what heads they did run dome pistons in. I can always run a smaller camshaft, or bigger gaskets for alittle of nothing compared to the price im paying for cylinder heads.

scratch.gif
.....why would you pay for domed pistons to increase compression, and possibly use thicker head gaskets to "compensate" for the possibility of PtV problems instead of having the pistons notched for the correct PtV clearance (minimum of .080" Intake, .100" exhaust) if required? Wouldn't you be decreasing the gain in compression the dome pistons would provide?

scratch.gif
.....why would you pay for domed pistons to increase compression, and possibly use thicker head gaskets to "compensate" for the possibility of PtV problems instead of having the pistons notched for the correct PtV clearance (minimum of .080" Intake, .100" exhaust) if required? Wouldn't you be decreasing the gain in compression the dome pistons would provide?

I didn't. I bought the Shortblock from a Good Friend. He ran it for a few months(daily driven), with AFR165's along with a TFS3 Camshaft. Dropped it for a 347 Build. I bought it for an amazing deal ($2,000SB for $400) with Less than 1,000 Miles. The pistons are already notched. If you don't have a response to my initial question only, please don't reply at all.

I didn't. I bought the Shortblock from a Good Friend. He ran it for a few months(daily driven), with AFR165's along with a TFS3 Camshaft. Dropped it for a 347 Build. I bought it for an amazing deal ($2,000SB for $400) with Less than 1,000 Miles. The pistons are already notched. If you don't have a response to my initial question only, please don't reply at all.

Wow...... View attachment 315829 for trying to help....... perhaps next time it would be easier to ask what is it that you want as an answer for this View attachment 315830 "open ended" question.

View attachment 315831

I wasn't looking for a Be all or End all answer to my question. It was intended to be very open ended.
1.94 Int./1.60 Exh.

If you don't have a response to my initial question only, please don't reply at all.

Your questions have been answered quite clearly, based on facts.
You in fact wanted "open ended" information, yet were provided with precise answers... what's the problem?

You don't have the knowledge to complete your engine, yet you'll accept a PTV of .003" but won't accept sound advice on maintaining compression ratio?

Korey, we are attempting to keep you from making a mistake, and useless spending of your hard earned money.

Joel5.0, 5spd gt and Fast63 are very respected members here and on other "TECH" Boards... maybe should do some more research on your part and you'll find they've given you sound, factual information here.

Guys, Hold on here. I ment, I didn't want it to stray off topic from earlier posts. No need to act like everyone is an ******* because they don't want there thread over-run with non-related topics. I do not have the Second Spec sheet anymore for this Shortblock, which includes information about the assembly, there within lies my problem. ALL I currently know, Is it is Factory Spec. I can't find information on the TRW Dome Pistons in my shortblock , from my information sources they have discontinued for this application. I Will call Dart Tommorrow, and talk to them about my situation. Thank you for your Reply's.