Daily Driver

jegg

Mar 17, 2004
Any of you guys with classic stangs drive them daily? I'd like to know...

**EDIT**

How many miles a day do you guys drive your cars and what's the longest you've driven?
I know gas mileage sucks on these things but whats the best MPG you've had on a 289?

I'm thinking of picking up a semi-restored 65 fastback automatic with a 289 in it and would like to drive it daily to and from work, 20 miles round trip. Maybe a few trips on the weekends, 100 miles round trip, every other weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

This guy does...

I have a '67 Coupe with a 289 and Drum brakes all around... That's the only problem I have as far as daily driving goes. The brakes SUCK!!!! Needless to say a disc conversion is on the short list or mods upcoming. Oh and the Kill Your Back GR2 shocks might have been a bad choice, kinda ruff.

Other than that I love driving my classic daily, lots of looks and comments.

That the kind of info you were looking for?

JC6715 said:
I have a '67 Coupe with a 289 and Drum brakes all around... That's the only problem I have as far as daily driving goes. The brakes SUCK!!!! Needless to say a disc conversion is on the short list or mods upcoming. Oh and the Kill Your Back GR2 shocks might have been a bad choice, kinda ruff.

Other than that I love driving my classic daily, lots of looks and comments.

That the kind of info you were looking for?

Yes thanks. I might actually pick up a 65 fastback with a 289.

I drove my 70 coupe with a 302, auto, and stock gears DAILY for about, 4 years straight since the day i turned 16...

I put about, 40-50,000 miles on it in those years...i never checked my gas milege but i had a brick strapped to my foot....

Mine gets driven to town every day. It's only about 15 miles 'round trip, so not a whole lot. The wife and I cruise on the weekend whenever we get a chance, however.

I've done a few tests to get as much of an accurate reading on mpg as I can and came up with 20 on the hgwy and depending on if I can keep my foot out of it ( yea right )I get about 16 in town. If I'm out hot rodding all the little ricers, it goes way down. I'd guess in the 10 mpg range.

edit * The longest I've driven it todate has been about 200'ish miles 'round trip. I've done this a few times actually. This included about 80 miles on the hgwy at one time at an average of 75 mph.

I drove Old Sadie daily when I was in college. Probably about 25 miles round trip 5 days a week and in the neighborhod of 16 - 17 mpg with a 289 (got 18 once).

I've been driving New Sadie daily to work up until a few days ago. Right at 22 miles round trip 4 - 6 days a week and been getting around 13.5 - 14 mpg with a 302 that's been having vacuum leak & timing issues.

-Chelle

drove mine for abuot a year and a half to and from school. roughly a 20 or 30 mile round trip including vocational. i filled up once a week if i babied it. but that almost never happened. usually, i was actually using close to a quarter tank a day lol. i dont really know why. i wasnt that rough with it and i have 2.78 rear end.

you'll love driving the stang daily. the thing i loved, was all the stares.

I drive my '70 fastback most everyday but not to work and not in the rain. I drive a truck to work so the stang is just for fun, but it's sooo much fun to drive that I make excuses to go out and drive it!! I put about 5-6K a year on it. If I didn't drive it a lot, I'd sell it. To me that's the great thing about these cars, or any cars, driving them! Great to hear so many dailies.

I drove my 69 coupe every day to work and school when I was in high school and college. I left the 2.79s in it so my mileage actually wasn't terrible, high teens. Since I've had 4x4s since then that's what I'm used to now anyway.

not a mustang, but i drive my 66 falcon daily. in the mountains here it is at least 30 miles from town, so everytime i go it is a 60 mile round trip. i will be driving it home to az in dec, a trip of 2300 miles.