Decided on flywheel now the clutch...

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok well after very carefull consideration I have decieded to go with a billet chromoly steel flywheel. Only 17lbs compared to the stock flywheels 26lbs. Thought about the aluminum flywheel which weighs 12lbs but dont want to risk driveability or lose my 60ft so I figured the in between would be good. Changing the clutch and flywheel because I have warped the stocker lol. Those 6k clutch dumps on the slicks, lol. Well my current clutch setup has been doing its job but its kind of a hybrid. Zoom pressure plate with hayes clutch disc because the original zoom clutch disc actually ended up granadeing on one of those launches, lol. What clutch would you guys recommend for a DD that sees pretty hard track abuse also, lol. Car makes just over 320 to the tire currently.

• Sponsors (?)

I was thinking about that one too. How do you think it will hold up? Plus the clutch I have right now is pretty damn stiff.

Not sure how well it will hold up with heavy track use.... Its rated for 450hp on their site, but its only one step up from their OEM replacement. 30% more clamping force, organic disk. The next step up is rated for 550hp. The main reason I bought it is because it came in a kit from late model restoration (flyhweel, rear main seal, clutch, bolts, etc.) and it had some pretty good reviews.....good price too.

Not sure how well it will hold up with heavy track use.... Its rated for 450hp on their site, but its only one step up from their OEM replacement. 30% more clamping force, organic disk. The next step up is rated for 550hp. The main reason I bought it is because it came in a kit from late model restoration (flyhweel, rear main seal, clutch, bolts, etc.) and it had some pretty good reviews.....good price too.

If it can take the second gear burnouts with the M/T's and 6k dumps that would be great, lol.

If it can take the second gear burnouts with the M/T's and 6k dumps that would be great, lol.

Give it a shot and let me know how it works with heavy abuse, its only 180 bucks......lots of work though. This was my first clutch installation and I don't want to hurt it.....just yet, so I'll be driving like a grandma for awhile. Actually the car needs to go right back under the knife, time to make some power.

I wish I had a lift.....that would make things soooo much easier. I was actually considering getting a lift, their prices are not too bad. But I don't really have the room for one, that would mean kicking my daily driver outside. At least I have a heated garage to work in, otherwise I would not even bother with it. The last time I swapped a tranny (18 years ago, automatic), I did it outside in the cold and rain......not much fun.

I am also in need of a clutch that can hold up to heavy track launches. I think i am going to go with the spec 3. The pricing is good for 315$. The spec 3+ is also good but a little over kill for me and its about 450$. A buddy of mine is running the spec 3 he goes 10s in the 1/4 and loves it.

I've owned a bunch of different SPEC clutches, and been very happy with all of them. One thing I recommend, SPEND THE MONEY. The best SPEC clutch I have ever had is the 4+, I have now. The + models have a full faced disk, which actually engages smoother than the standard puck design. Don't be afraid of the solid disk in the SPEC 4+. It's actually very streetable. The pedal effort is a little on the stiff side, but it's designed to handle 800 ft. lbs. of torque. I think it's going to be as good as you can do without spending a bunch of money on a twin disk, or going to a full on race clutch.

Kurt