Delay wiper / washer problems

lparsons

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 24, 2004
Upstate New York
My intermittent wipers and windshield washer only work when I am using my turn signal. I can push in for washer fluid all I want when I am not signaling, and I'll never get anything, but if I push it in while signaling for a turn, I get washer fluid. Same with the intermittent wipers - the intermittent function works only with the turn signal on.

Granted, people here in upstate NY are such terrible drivers that they likely don't understand turn signals anyways, but I would still like to fix this problem.

Should I buy a new turn signal arm? Or is there something else I should check first? The signals themselves work fine, and regular wiper functions (non-intermittent) work fine as well. I just can't use the delay or washer functions while driving without a turn signal on.

• Sponsors (?)

with out testing anything im going to guess that the multi switch is the problem. Im not even sure if there is a way to test the switch without putting a new one in.

with out testing anything im going to guess that the multi switch is the problem. Im not even sure if there is a way to test the switch without putting a new one in.
Is the switch integral to the wiper stalk, or is it somewhere else? I'm not sure how this thing is wired which is why I didn't want to start by replacing the wiper stalk, in case that wasn't the likely source of the problem.

Or can the switch be replaced on its own by some other method?
:shrug:

its been a while sence my dad got rid of his 96 but if its the same as my wifes 01 im guessing that its sim. to my 88 in that its a switch that bolts to the col. just behind the wheel. the stalk is all part of the switch. Ive never changed one on a SN, maybe someone will chime in on exactly how to but im guessing that its purty straight forward.

i have replaced the multi function switch on my Ram. The stang is the same cause I have a new one for it in my hand. You have to take the column apart, and theres 2 screws that hold it in place, you take them out and pull the 2 wire harnesses out. Then throw the new one in, in the reverse. The switch is a little over 50 bucks I think it was Advance auto sells them.