Deluxe Interior - Restomod question

So, hypothetically, let's say we are talking about a fairly rare vehicle. Let's use a '69 Mach 1 Q-code 428CJ, for example, which has the deluxe interior package. But the owner does not particularly care for the tan wood inserts.

In general, how would it be received if the owner stained the wood inserts black? Would it depreciate the value of the vehicle? Would it be frowned upon in competition?

What are your thoughts on modifications like this on rarer vehicles?

• Sponsors (?)

Using your example, the loss of value would be equal to the cost of obtaining originals of equal condition. The panels on the doors are available new in both the walnut and teak variety, although originals would be more desirable. No such luck on the dash panels, if they are damaged, you'll be out of luck if you can't find decent ones.

BTW, they are vinyl, so staining would be a problem. Paint, maybe.

A prospective future buyer would argue the cost of the parts plus professional installation, so you're talking half a grand, at least.

Competition depends. In a "modified" class, anything goes. In a "stock" class, the judges would kill you on points.

You choose, if it's worth that to you.

In that case maybe just box up the origianl stuff and get reproduction parts that are black or whatever instead of wood. That way you get the look you like, but have the original parts to put it back.

In line with what others have said, I'd just wrap up the original parts and replace if possible, but cursory review of a few catalogs makes me think that is unlikely with the doors.

I'm not really familiar with the '69s and the various options, so I'm just wondering here. Could you your door inserts as a template and fab up new inserts using chipboard, sheet foam, and black vinyl?

As for the dash, you should be able to get good prices on standard dash pieces on Ebay and elsewhere. It may take you a week or two to piece things together, but if you look at the (asking) price differences between the standard and the deluxe, it makes it fairly compelling argument for preserving the good deluxe parts you have.

The repro comes ready to use:

C9ZZ-6523942-3W.jpg

Edit: Started this before Rusty posted ... tricky interwebs.

Sorry, what I meant is that there isn't a black insert panel for the deluxe doors. Looking at the picture 2+2GT posted, I now see there is trim around the edge that I'd want to keep, even if I painted the woodgrain black or found some sort of black applique. So my fab plan won't work in this instance.

I've been thinking about a similar issue with my '67 for a while. I've been toying with the idea of putting the deluxe door panels on the car (in part because it has '68 doors and the armrest mounting holes are in the wrong place, but mostly because I like their looks). The problem is that I also like and have the camera case faces for the dash pieces, and I worry that the aluminum inserts on the deluxe doors look a bit odd without continuing on to the dash.

Would love to see pics of whatever you come up with,69PaleHorse.

you could get some kind of black vinyl grain applique and use that on the deluxe door inserts so they would match the standard dash pieces. alternatively, you could get another set of deluxe dash bezels and use that same kind of applique on them as well as the doors.

check this i was looking for some kind of camera case finish similar to the original non deluxe dash and radio pieces and i came up with this leatherette for actual cameras, could be worth checking out to make your dash and door panels look like the standard dash pieces

Cameraleather - Colors and materials