Diameter opening on Cobra Intake

md20

Dec 12, 2004
Does anyone know the diameter of the opening on the Cobra intake?

Can you put a 70mm throttle body on it? For some reason I seem to think it only has a 65mm opening.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

darthcual said:
that sounds right. I think it is a 65mm so a 70mm would be too large. Or rather a 70mm would fit but you would not get the benifits from it because of teh intake.

Cobra intake has a 70mm opening, but i would definitely still go with a 65mm tb.

so it seems the consensus is to use the 65mm. my old 4.6 screemed with a 70mm, but it seems most seem to use the 70mm on the 5.0's. I guess the 70 is a little too much air intake huh? i wonder if it actually hurts performance?

Run whatever the opening size is. Its about 70mm so run a 70mm tb.

You are correct, putting a larger tb on a smaller opening isn't too bright. I ran a 75mm on my 302 (as recommended by ed curtis) and it drove great and had throttle response up the wazoo :p

md20 said:
Does anyone know the diameter of the opening on the Cobra intake?

Can you put a 70mm throttle body on it? For some reason I seem to think it only has a 65mm opening.

Thanks
It's 70mm (I checked my 70mm TB against the intake TB opening, and I also read 70mm on the Ford Racing spec sheet) The 93 Cobras came with 65mm TBs because Ford is traditionally conservative with sizes and fitment of parts and because a 65mm will work fine up to 400 something HP.